Survival GS - Hotfixes 12/16 Higher DPS Now?

I usually run Beast Master in-world for world PvE and PvP as I always found Marksman unable to cope with most threats, Also I just don’t really like the spec… however since WoD, much like most hunters, we have been forced to use Markman for dungeons and raids due to Blizzard making the various specs unbalanced and causing MM to have a major dps advantage over both BM & SV.

However this seemed to have changed with Yesterday’s Hotfix and while doing my weekly raid run, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw a Survival Hunter pulling close to 30k dps while the Marksman hunters, myself included, were barely maintaining 20-23k dps. It wasn’t their gear either, as after inspecting them, they had about the same range of item level as even myself.

So after this, I decided to give Survival a try, and without having any macros nor Gnome Sequencer, after giving Survival a go for a Highmaul Kargath kill, I was doing about 20-23k dps overall, the same as my optimized Marks setup (macros and gnome sequencer).

I decided to modify the sequence I use for Marksmans, however I find that it does not seem to work properly as I find myself focus starving at times that my black arrows and murder of crows aren’t able to fire. So I am forced to manually take over, fire off a couple extra cobra shots just to get enough focus to fire off black arrow or murder of crows. Also I have to take over to fire off the free extra explosive shots.

This is what I have so far:

---Hunter---

---Survival---

Sequences['SVS'] = { 
PreMacro = [[
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/cast [@focus,help][help][@pet,exists] Misdirection
]],
	'/cast !Black Arrow',	
	'/cast Kill Shot',
	'/cast A Murder of Crows',
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast Arcane Shot',
	'/cast [nochanneling] Cobra Shot',
	'/cast !Black Arrow',	
	'/cast Kill Shot',
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast Arcane Shot',
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
/use [combat]13
/use [combat]14
/cast !Black Arrow
]],
}

So if anyone could help modify this for an optimal Survival setup, it would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Talents I use: 2,1,2,3,1,1,3

can max get 11k dps whit this one, ilvl 635

I made some edits to my sequence, and I seemed to have mitigated my issue with focus starvation by adding a 2nd Cobra shot cast and changing my 4th tier talent to Steady Focus. Now my black arrows and murder of crows fire off about when they come off CD, also added a 2nd explosive shot cast and that seems to help with getting the free lock and load charge to fire off.

I also have to say, I am now pulling 5k more DPS than my Marksman spec.

I know this sequence could be further optimized, maybe have the repeat removed or the rotation rearranged, etc. However being unfamilar with Gnome Sequencer and Survival hunter rotations, I’ll leave that to someone else who could help tweak this :)!

---Hunter---

---Survival---

Sequences['SVS'] = { 
PreMacro = [[
/use Draenic Agility Potion
]],
	'/cast !Black Arrow',	
	'/cast Kill Shot',
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast Arcane Shot',
	'/cast [nochanneling] !Cobra Shot',
	'/cast !Black Arrow',	
	'/cast Kill Shot',
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast Arcane Shot',
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
/use [combat]13
/use [combat]14
/cast !Black Arrow
]],

[quote quote=20304]I made some edits to my sequence, and I seemed to have mitigated my issue with focus starvation by adding a 2nd Cobra shot cast and changing my 4th tier talent to Steady Focus. Now my black arrows and murder of crows fire off about when they come off CD, also added a 2nd explosive shot cast and that seems to help with getting the free lock and load charge to fire off.

I also have to say, I am now pulling 5k more DPS than my Marksman spec.

I know this sequence could be further optimized, maybe have the repeat removed or the rotation rearranged, etc. However being unfamilar with Gnome Sequencer and Survival hunter rotations, I’ll leave that to someone else who could help tweak this :)!

---Hunter---

---Survival---

Sequences['SVS'] = { 
PreMacro = [[
]],
	'/cast !Black Arrow',	
	'/cast Kill Shot',
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast Arcane Shot',
	'/cast !Black Arrow',	
	'/cast Kill Shot',
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast Arcane Shot',
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
/use [combat]13
/use [combat]14
/cast !Black Arrow
]],

[/quote]

Still have MM & BM as my specs so haven’t switched over to try SV yet. I can tell you to remove the kill shot lines as SV does not have that talent any more. Also I’m no expert but i do read a lot of the pages of ppl who have done a lot more theory crafting than I. Here is a read on the MM nerf, BM & SV bump that happened after the last hotfix.

Does anyone have a good SV Macro that doesn’t use GnomeSeq?

Maybe I’m wrong, but Kill Shot is not a SV talent, should be completely removed from the macros above

Hi All long time reader… First time posting, I have installed the GnomeSequencer but when I got to make the Macro in Game I get nothing the button i create dose not attached itself to the macro… any suggestions?

Thanks

How do i add the black box thing around the text?

Just to show proof as I said above that I have never played Survival before, I didn’t even know Survival didn’t have Killshot, So the redundant killshots have been removed, the second Arcane Shot (serpent sting) has been removed because I find that one is plenty to keep the serpent sting buff applied on your target with 100% uptime, and finally I added a 3rd Explosive Shot cast, because I found over boss kills, I may of been missing a free explosive shot every now and then.

---Hunter---

---Survival---

Sequences['SVS'] = { 
PreMacro = [[
]],
	'/cast !Black Arrow',	
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast Arcane Shot',
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast !Black Arrow',	
	'/cast !Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
/use [combat]13
/use [combat]14
/cast !Black Arrow
]],
}

The issue with that eyesofthebeast.com post is it’s based on simulation, instead of real in-game logs/experience. All I can recommend to you is to see for yourself, either run Kargath with Marksman, log your final overall DPS and Damage Done, then do the same with Survival.

or you can just do a test with the same training dummy (preferably the one dressed like a mage). I recommend the Dummies in your Garrison or in Stormshield as these more reflect Draenor Raid bosses unlike the dummies located in the Main Cities. Next, use the in-game stopwatch (click the Clock>Show Stopwatch), then do at least a 2 minute test on the raid dummy with both MM and SV, and you will see clearly that SV overall is pulling higher DPS and Damage Done than MM.

MM may have a significant opening burst advantage, such as at my level, I am bursting in the 35k range as Marksman, but then overtime that starts to drop down to 18-21k (or lower), however, Survival opens with 25k and stays near to 25k overtime (never once dropping below 20k).

what ilvl are you im 640 and no way near these numbers with this macro . even MM macro you cant pull those numbers with any macro on here

637 ilvl only doing about 14k on raid dummy with this