High DPS, multi-purpose BM Macro

NOTE: Several modifications made as of Jan 25, 2017. Current macro is updated in this OP. I will be making a separate post detailing the new features and how to alter them to best suit you.

This is my general purpose macro. For raiding, I use the same, but remove a couple abilities for manual use. Generally, this involved removing ‘Mend Pet’ and perhaps ‘Exhilaration’. Mend pet adds a largely unneeded GCD for raiding, and can easily be used manually. Exhilaration I tend to leave in since I don’t rely on this for survivability.

So let me explain the macro and my logic for having things in the order they are in.

First, I should note that I am disabled, and so one of my goals is to reduce the number of things I have to pay attention too. Mainly, I want to focus on my movement and handling boss mechanics effectively. I am willing to sacrifice some tiny amount of DPS to accomplish this goal.

Secondly, according to Warcraft Logs, I routinely achieve 95+ percentile for my DPS on most fights. This suggests that my macro works very well, at least for me.

Third, while this macro attempts to be a sort of one-button win macro, there are choices built in to it. It operates as a single target and multi-target macro and I don’t find it necessary to have separate macros based on the number of targets.

In the PREMACRO section I place all the non-GCD abilities. I also include several pet abilities to cover the bulk of scenarios and pet stances. I generally run a spirit beast in Ferocity, but sometimes I change to Aspect of the Beast and use Cunning for PvP (for the constant snares).

If no focus target is set, misdirect goes on the pet. Otherwise its on the focus target. If no pet is out, it summons Pet 1 (my spirit beast). If the pet dies (and in Ferocity) it uses HotP to rez the pet. Spirit Mend is used on me on cooldown. If using Cunning, Roar of Sacrifice is used on me (I rarely use this to be honest).

Finally in the PREMACRO section I have MultiShot available when I press a MOD key (I use CTRL). I put this last so that all those other buffs will be used even if I am pressing a MOD key. Holding the MOD key also prevents the main macro section from running. So I can utilize my focus most effectively. Usually this means burning my focus on MultiShot, then letting the MOD key go to let Dire Beast get cast, then pressing the MOD key again.

OK, now the main macro section. I should note that the order of abilities is one that I found to be the best after a ton of trial and error and testing. I use a priority rotation in an effect to make the first abilities more likely to be used prior to the latter abilities.

I start with Dire Beast, because it is focus free and generates focus. It also increases damage when using Way of the Cobra (I usually go with Dire Stable but I have had great success DPS-wise with either).

Next is Kill Command as my primary damage dealing ability.

Next is AMOC or Barrage. I rarely use Barrage though. I put AMOC last for the damage abilities, because with low health adds, I don’t like burning all my focus on AMOC that is only active for 3 seconds or less. It just is the lowest priority for me. But hey, I am only using 3 abilities in the macro anyways.

Last I have Mend Pet. I have this in there for World Quests and farming and stuff and remove this line for raids. Its a bit of a DPS loss on boss fights as it can cost you a few GCDs over the length of a fight. ITs not that major a hit, but since it is largely a waste of time in raids, I remove it.

So now I need to talk about what isn’t in the macro.

First and most importantly, Cobra Shot. I use Killer Cobra, and I want my focus as high as possible for when this is active (during Bestial Wrath) so I use this ability manually. I save it for Bestial Wrath and work it in after Kill Command is used to rest that cooldown. Otherwise, I will use it when I have high focus and plenty of time to regen the focus before Bestial Wrath is available again.

Other utility ability such as Binding Shot, Counter Shot, etc are used manually as needed. I should note that one could easily add Counter Shot to be used on cooldown automatically by adding it to the PREMACRO section. I don’t do this because I just find it more useful to be available on demand. I also use PvP talents manually so they are not included in this macro.

Finally, I want to mention that this macro is effective when using a wide variety of talents and builds. I have tried lots of variations and this just seems to be effectively across the board. Obviously if you are using things like Chimaera Shot, Volley, etc., these are not here.

Sequences['GweenBeast'] = {
  Author="Gweenn@Bleeding Hollow",  
  SpecID=253,
  Talents = "3113112",
  Default=1,
  Raid=3,
  PVP=2,
  Mythic=3,
  MacroVersions = {
    [1] = {
      StepFunction = "Priority",
      KeyPress={
        "/targetenemy [noharm][dead]",
        "/cast [mod:alt] Exhilaration",
        "/cast [combat] Bestial Wrath",
        "/cast [combat, nomod:shift] Blood Fury",
        "/cast [combat, nomod:shift] Titan's Thunder",
        "/cast [combat, nomod:shift] Aspect of the Wild",
        "/cast [mod:shift] Counter Shot",
        "/cast [target=focus, exists, nodead],[target=pet, exists, nodead] Misdirection",
        "/cast [mod:ctrl] Multi-Shot",
        "/cast [nopet,nodead] Call Pet 1; [@pet,dead] Heart of the Phoenix",
        "/cast [combat,pet:Spirit Beast,@player] Spirit Mend",
        "/cast [combat,pet,@player] Roar of Sacrifice",
      },
      PreMacro={
      },
        "/cast Dire Beast",
        "/cast Kill Command",
        "/cast A Murder of Crows",
        "/cast [nogroup] Mend Pet",
      PostMacro={
      },
      KeyRelease={
      },
    },
    [2] = {
      KeyPress={
        "/cast [target=focus, exists, nodead],[target=pet, exists, nodead] Misdirection",
      },
      PreMacro={
      },
        "/cast Dire Beast",
        "/cast Kill Command",
        "/cast Mend Pet",
      PostMacro={
      },
      KeyRelease={
      },
    },
    [3] = {
      KeyPress={
      },
      PreMacro={
      },
        "/cast Dire Beast",
        "/cast Kill Command",
      PostMacro={
      },
      KeyRelease={
      },
    },
    [4] = {
      KeyPress={
        "/cast Exhilaration",
        "/cast [combat] Blood Fury",
        "/cast [combat] Titan's Thunder",
        "/cast [combat] Aspect of the Wild",
        "/cast [mod] Multi-Shot",
      },
      PreMacro={
      },
        "/cast Dire Beast",
        "/cast Kill Command",
      PostMacro={
      },
      KeyRelease={
      },
    },
  },
}

Put it in code for you

author="Gweenn@Bleeding Hollow",
specID=253,
version=20,
source = "Local",
helpTxt = "Talents: 3112112",
StepFunction = GSStaticPriority,
icon='INV_MISC_QUESTIONMARK',
lang="enUS",
PreMacro=[[
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/cast [target=focus, exists, nodead],[target=pet, exists, nodead] Misdirection
/cast Exhilaration
/cast [combat] Bestial Wrath
/cast [combat] Blood Fury
/cast [combat] Trueshot
/cast [combat] Aspect of the Wild
/cast [combat] Titan's Thunder
/cast [nopet,nodead] Call Pet 1; [@pet,dead] Heart of the Phoenix
/cast [combat,pet:Spirit Beast,@player] Spirit Mend
/cast [combat,pet,@player] Roar of Sacrifice
/cast [mod] Multi-Shot
]],
"/cast Dire Beast",
"/cast Kill Command",
"/cast [talent:6/1] A Murder of Crows; [talent:6/2] Barrage",
"/cast Mend Pet",
PostMacro=[[
]],
}

Why is Trueshot in the macro. It’s not a BM spell. Also do you mind linking your logs. I’d like to compare to mine.

Probably a holdover from my Marksman macro. Doesn’t hurt anything, can be removed.

Not exactly sure how to link but here is one example:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/hJbZYKP9k736HfTc#fight=10&view=rankings

No worries. I’m gonna try your macro tonight I have mine in another thread I made, Do you use synapse or AHK? or just spam.

So i’m trying to import it and its not letting me not sure why it isn’t either.

I use this and it works great! I endorse this macro!

I can’t import this macro, any ideas? I copied from the “code” part above.

I am having the same issues to, for some reason the code will not import over. Any ideas?

I really want to try this out. Maybe there is a syntax error in the code?

famous Apostrophe and Quotation marks problem

author="Gweenn@Bleeding Hollow",
specID=253,
version=20,
source = "Local",
helpTxt = "Talents: 3112112",
StepFunction = GSStaticPriority,
icon='INV_MISC_QUESTIONMARK',
lang="enUS",
PreMacro=[[
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/cast [target=focus, exists, nodead],[target=pet, exists, nodead] Misdirection
/cast Exhilaration
/cast [combat] Bestial Wrath
/cast [combat] Blood Fury
/cast [combat] Trueshot
/cast [combat] Aspect of the Wild
/cast [combat] Titan’s Thunder
/cast [nopet,nodead] Call Pet 1; [@pet,dead] Heart of the Phoenix
/cast [combat,pet:Spirit Beast,@player] Spirit Mend
/cast [combat,pet,@player] Roar of Sacrifice
/cast [mod] Multi-Shot
]],
"/cast Dire Beast",
"/cast Kill Command",
"/cast [talent:6/1] A Murder of Crows; [talent:6/2] Barrage",
"/cast Mend Pet",
PostMacro=[[
]],
}

I would like to nominate this macro for most spells in a PreMacro…

Having Multi-Shot only go off upon pressing a mod key (I use Alt) has been great, around 230+ DPS sustained!

[quote quote=36583]Why is Trueshot in the macro. It’s not a BM spell. Also do you mind linking your logs. I’d like to compare to mine.
[/quote]

In essence you could write a single macro for 2 specs with GS-E, as it will simply move to the next line when a spell isn’t there, I use this technique at times with talent changes.

Do I just change the mod command to the key I have assigned multishot too?

[quote quote=36646]Do I just change the mod command to the key I have assigned multishot too?
[/quote]Yes, like this /cast [mod:alt] Multi-Shot
So you will be spamming the macro, and if you hit/hold down ALT it will fire off Multi-Shot.

I really like this macro it the best so far I have tested. I have removed Cobra Shot from the macro and fire it manually to have better control during Bestial Wrath. I think though to get the most out of BM macros you would have to create a macro separate from this to fire off Dire Beast and Kill Command. So essentially you would push 3 buttons. I know this isn’t the purpose and we are all trying to find a true 1 button macro. But until someone finds that magic formula that keeps you from being focus starved. And can fire off cobra shots to go with kill command. Its just not possible with the game mechanics as they are. And hell 3 buttons on a BM hunter is cake really. Ill post what I’m using once i get all the kinks out.

Ghoste,

I am confused by your post. First you suggest removing Cobra Shot, but that isn’t even in the macro. Then you suggest that a separate macro for Dire Beast and Kill Command would be better. In what way would this be an improvement?

There are essentially only 3 ability in the macro in terms of DPS rotation, and the rest is simply using cooldowns when they are available. One could argue that putting various cooldowns in a separate macro is more optimal, but frankly, I don’t buy this argument except for isolated abilities, such as Exhilaration, where you might want to use your heal when it is really needed. If you want to push 3 buttons for your DPS rotation, then why macro at all.

In any case, I laid out my reasoning for setting up the macro as I have, in some detail. I find that in terms of optimal DPS, this gets me very very close to the maximum possible DPS, while also optimizing my abilities to handle boss mechanics.

sorry for this kinda sorta being off topic of the actual macro but having 2 issues (Noob WoW Player here as this is my first time playing).

1> can’t get the Titan’s Thunder to work through gsse.
2> I don’t uderstand the whole /cast [mod] thing for multistrike and I would like to use it

1> I don’t know if it is because there is an apostrophe in the name Titan’s Thunder but my line looks like:
/cast [combat] Titan’s Thunder

the /cast is in purple but the rest of the line itself shows in white which seems “wrong” and it never casts Titan’s Thunder

2> I wanted to use a /cast [mod:alt] to cast Multistrike. However it doesn’t do it. The command line in the pre-macro looks fine but it never casts if I hold down the alt key.

I feel like maybe I’m missing something here where I don’t have something set up correctly for this to work. if I hit my multistrike key on the action bar it works but doesn’t seem to work within the gsse script itself and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong
the line I have looks like this:
/cast [mod:alt] Multi-Shot

I fear there is something I’m missing here where I need to set the skill up with a special key binding for it to work or something like that but no clue what I need to do.

Again I apologize from any diversion to the real purpose of this thread with my noob questions being a noob player. Love this site with the awesome macros just trying to get them to work.

Gween

My apologizes this post was meant for a different users macro. Posted from my phone and fat fingered it apparently. I’m currently using your macro and doing very well with it. And chose it because Cobra Shot was NOT in the macro. Most macros on here have that in their macros and its a drain on your focus. Cheers on creating an awesome macro. I was meaning to post on the macro created by Tyrus.

Ghoste