The bundled DB_ Macros with GS-E - Update or kill them off?

I had a nice problem occur yesterday and over night i have had three other people with a similar problem. They had outgeared the levelling DB_ macros and they were not performing anymore based around their current gear. This is ideally what I hoped would occur. The aim for the bundled DB macros wasn’t to be the ultimate best but rather to have something while levelling while people figured out the good stuff.

This now leaves me a dilemna. Do I go over whats in there to try to improve it a bit or do i let it die a natural death as no longer required.

My thought is to lean towards the latter. With some of the other macro addons coming out its not as relevant anymore. THe plan in htis case would be to still distribute it to 7.1 but at 7.1 distribute it as a disabled mod meaning you would have to turn it on after 7.1

The counter to this is that a lot of people use these as “gospel” and if they disappeared or were disabled there would be as many questions asking how to get them back.

What do people think? GS-E exists for this community and the changes are based off things people here have asked for so handing this over to you guys for comment.

I just wrote a very long reply but my phone browser kept messing up lol. Maybe when I get on the computer I will retype.

Hello Tim,

Since you are leaving them anyway, what I would do and I am not sure if is possible:

To do some sort of check to see if it was enabled before and leave it enabled if it was or disable if it was disabled.

Maybe instead of a separate add-on folder you add them into the add-on with a setting to load them in by default as it is for now and then when that patch hits, do that check I said above. This no extra folder method it is so in case you can’t obtain feedback check if it was enabled as a separate folder.

Also when that patch hits, do one of those alert pop-ups saying something like that the bundled macros are no longer being updated, please visit wow lazy macros site or download another bundle macros add-on from the description list.

I can’t remember if the my macros boilerplate came empty, but I used your bundle to have as reference for the spec ID, so it is still handy for that I guess. I could always have that ID list in a separate text to have as reference but haven’t got there yet.

Timothy,

I have been using GnomeSequencer and now GS-E and really feel it great value. I don’t use the supplied macros, as I have written my own based on many searches and reviews. (I will be willing to make a pack very soon with mine for sharing).

In my personal opinion: I would encourage you to keep the add-on pack included, but provide a way to create a config file in GS-Core that isn’t overwritten with updates and allows us to prevent it from loading, or to load a specific pack. I remove the macro pack and each update of the addon, it’s back.

Just my opinion.

I cant keep the GS-DraikMacros as part of the mod bundle and prevent it being overridden or reinstalled. I cant control what someone does with a zip file. There is also no config option that I can send to things like curse to check if to install that part or not. Its all or nothing.

(This is part of the reason why I couldn’t support a local Sequences.lua file in the core. Person X would delete their GS-Core folders and reinstall and blamed me as the file they had manually created in GS-Core was gone. Similar problems with Curse Client and Minion for some people. THe other part is that I couldnt get it to load without everyone rewriting their sequences file with a ton of boilerplate which no one would do.)

You can disable GS-DraikMacros. You can do that now and it wont load into game. From your addon list - Disable. I can after 7.1 distribute it disabled but then i have anotehr group that uses stuff in it and is happy. Its who do I offend.

There will always be a need for the leveling macros, be it new players, or the leveling of alts. So you should leave them in as basic starter macros, and only change them as needed for any changes Blizzard makes to the classes. Then do like you are doing with the HP Macro pack, and place macros for more advanced players in a separate pulgin pack.

Oh: One more thing all that someone has to do is renamed your GS-DraikMacros folder and sub-folder, essentially making them a pulgin; Then any changes they will not get over written, when you update the addon.

I personally love the leveling macros. I have been using them a lot since returning to the game trying out a new specs and leveling up my alts. It gives me a basic idea of what I want to do, then I can create my own mod of the macro.

I’d love to see you just continue to update them, even if it s just enough to stay functional.

I’m not very knowledgable about the inner workings of things but maybe a Disable Check box? that would allow you to disable them all at once and re-enable them when you need, perhaps character specific? or have I missed what we are discussing all together?

its super early in the morning and no coffee yet

Maybe just let the community Import them as needed from here and put up a leveling Section in the forums?

If you are talking about the gs-draikmacros… yes please kill them off. perhaps make them available offline/on this website via .zip and let people and them on their own.

For me, I forget to delete the folder after an update and it is a nuisance to reclear my macros and all my toons.

Thank you for keeping this addon going!

I didn’t get to change this for 7.1. I spent time … playing. In the next version these will load in disabled. They will still be part of /gsse but you will need to Enable these macros as a one off action.

I agree with Lucifon about a check box to enable or disable them. Not sure how much trouble that would be though.

You realise that you can now go /gsse, select a macro, Disable?

Thats been in since 1.3

[quote quote=35823]You realise that you can now go /gsse, select a macro, Disable?
Thats been in since 1.3
[/quote]
True but that doesn’t remove it from the drop down, and you have to do it for each individual Macro, which for those that play many Alts/multiple accounts is a Royal pain, I’m loving GS-E don’t get me wrong, just some ease of life changes

Only way to remove them from the dropdown is to disable the GS-DraikMacros Mod in your add-on list. The changes I am making will still leave the macros in that list but not create macro stubs for them.

The change that is on Curse in the Alpha Stage - If you have a local/edited version of a DB_ macro it will stay enabled. If no People will be able to enable them (instead of disabling them) from /gsse