AHK info from Blizzard

so i sent in a ticket earlier about AHK. and got this answer:

Thomas
Hello dear CS. so i have a question. latly i have seen alot of ppl both in and out of game talk about AHK ( AutoHotkey ) now it seems like a good thing, but then i am worried that it might breach the ToS if i ever try and download and install it. so therefor im sending you guys this email to ask if AHK is allowed ingame or if it is considerd being a bot? cus its not a bot program or atleast not what i could find about said program. and then if it is allowed to use, will it trigger warden? so i know it is a few questions there but i would like to have them answerd so i dont download an addon for my keyboard and end up being banned cus of it.
best regards Thomas
25 minutes ago
This ticket has been marked as Answered.
25 minutes ago
Frichilsae
Why hello there,

Lady Game Master, Frichilsae here by your side! First and foremost, thank you so much for your patience on this ticket here.

AutoHotkey is not against our ToS system. It’s not possible to automate. : ) You are good to go.

Once again, thank you so much for your patience on this. Please do try to stay safe out there in the real world, and enjoy the rest of your week.

May the odds ever be in your favor,
May the force be with you,
and Live long and prosper,

Frichilsae.

here is the pic proof and yes i know i miss spelled AHK and put AHT instead.

Proof

Can you repair your last post? Your “proof” is a broken link.

if u right click it, and press open image in a new tab the pic is there :wink: atleast it is there for me
but here is the adress fpr it just copy it http://imgur.com/a/4ZDjP

Well i got a GM response saying the exact opposite… Any automated keypresses can be flagged as botting and results in a ban or suspension.

Fear mongering does not exist in this dojo. Ok maybe just a little.

1. Pics or it didn’t happen
  2. I’d rather believe a blue post on this than a GM who is having a bad day or not informed. Also the post is public.
  3. “Automated” key pressing may get your account flagged. Fair enough yes, but this is normally where you press 1 key and have a script press multiple key strokes at regular or at random times.

Having 1 key pressed on the keyboard or mouse to action 1 button at a set speed is not classed as automated. You are there holding 1 button down, it’s classed as attended.

Setting toggles is automated however as you press and release and it continues to press for you. However you can set mouse and keyboard to do this so it’s a grey area.
The one that’s not really a grey area are those who script keypress especially so it plays the game and moves for them and those who set a toggle on multiple key presses
Press 1 wait 80ms, press 2 wait 30ms, press 3 wait 100ms. This is automation as it is 1 button for multiple actions.

Can copy paste the msg, see below. Also I know how things work Cymiryc i just hope Blizzard sees the gray area aswell and not just in black and white. Also i’m using AHK (at my own risk), got an minor hand-injury and can not play raids without it. I just use it to hold=spam button, release=no actions, so i should be fine.

And i was not trying to seed fear, i just want to make people aware that they might be at risk!

Good afternoon,

My name is Andreas aka Game Master Xarra’Kahn from Germany and helping out with the English Tickets to reduce the waiting time. I hope everything is fine, :slight_smile:

Now: You contacted us in regards of the addon AutoHotKey.
Well, my colleague Nichavorshe already replied and to be fair I agree with his answer.

Any program or hardware that automates key presses is indeed against the terms of use.
That is a fact and as soon any addon or other program might do that,
you run in danger of being identified as a bot-user,
as a bot is an automatic running program that automates key presses.

So in the end you can still use it, but at least Nichavorshe and I strongly advise against it,
since there is a real danger that this will lead to actions against your account,
when it is deemed similar to bot and cheat programs enough.

And that may happen very fast.

I wish you all the best and take care! ٩‎(^ᴗ^)۶

Andreas aka Game Master Xarra’Kahn

This post intrigues me, I have been debating the legality of using it quite a bit. Long time user of the macros, and when playing on my desktop I have a Logitech G510 Keyboard with programmable buttons that basically allow me to do the same thing as AHK I can hold down one of the G keys and it will repeat my macro, and have never had any issues from Blizzard on this. I would think this is no really different than that, but know Blizzard opinions can change.

You have a GM name and a ticket number - not sure what else you need? Do Blizzard have to put it on the front page of battle.net?

A lot of this comes down to language and interpretation. AHK doesnt auto play for you. It isnt botting for you. It repeatedly fires a keystroke. You still have to turn it on and off or hold the key down to act. All its doing is removing the RSI component of game play. I know of NO ONE who has been banned or suspended for AHK use. I DO KNOW people who have been banned for Botting. These are two DIFFERENT things.

“A lot of this comes down to language and interpretation. AHK doesnt auto play for you. It isnt botting for you. It repeatedly fires a keystroke. You still have to turn it on and off or hold the key down to act. All its doing is removing the RSI component of game play. I know of NO ONE who has been banned or suspended for AHK use. I DO KNOW people who have been banned for Botting. These are two DIFFERENT things.”

Spot on.

My Logitech keyboard (and mouse) can be set up to ‘press 1’ on a toggle (whether that triggers a GSSE script or my autoattack), so I could park my ass somewhere and kill mobs afk. That’s not allowed. But, simply pressing the ‘1’ button that’s linked to GSSE while playing the game normally is fine.

It’s about how you use the technology, and not the technology itself.

Has anyone followed up on this? I used AHK and I want to continue using it but im a bit worried now I may get banned… If you have German GM’s saying something different form English GM’s whose to say they wouldn’t just smack ya out the door with the ban hammer…

Has anyone spoken to another GM since and gotten a reply about AHK? I put in a ticket but havent heard anything yet…

Man…

…this topic is soooooo old. Every month, we get the pleasure of seeing this same old question pop up.

I’ve been using both GS and GSE for years, and another (now outdated) addon called ‘Macro Toolkit’ or ‘Toolbox’ or something before that. I’ve never gotten so much as a whisper from a GM for using it.

Quit chewing your fingernails off over it: either use the damn AHK software/GSE or don’t. Remember, YOU are the customer.