FAQ extended

Hello,

I have read through all the FAQ files I could find.

I understand the basic idea of /castsequence x,y,z get cast in order, when this comes up.

I understand the reset=0.3 as well, that deals with latency between client and server.

I get the /use (ability/item here)

What I am confused about is how it all works together. I have been using, modifying, and creating easy macros for a couple of months now, but it is either (a) they are really simple (that I created), or I modify others (trial and error to get it to work).

As everyone knows, there are quite a few situations where simply copying and pasting won’t always be enough. What a level 90 raider might find useful, will be useless to a level 33 leveling (since they won’t have the abilities, so the macro likely won’t work). I won’t mind a Tanking (farm) macro, when I am solo, in no threat of dying, and just need maximum damage (as much as a tank can give).

So, now on to my questions:

Take the following macro,

/castsequence 0,0,0,Call it a Day
/castsequence 0,0,Eat,Sleep,Drink
/castsequence 0,Poop
/castseqence reset=3 Glance
/cast Sit
/cast Stand
/cast Run

Ok, from what I have observed, Sit, Stand or Run will always be cast first (before the castsequences) if they are on cooldown.

My question is, in the above scenario, what is the order? I am guessing Sit, then Stand, then Run, before it moves onto the first castsequence? Or, does it simply go Sit, then upwards?

Now, Glance should be cast, and continue up the chain (assuming Sit, stand, run are on cooldown? Or, does it continue upwards regardless after they have been executed on the first button click?)

Then, Poop is straight forward, I assume after Glance, it goes to Poop.

Then, Eat will be cast - from the next castsequence, followed by Sleep and Drink (without checking the previous ones? Or, are they checked?)

Then, if all the Sit, Stand, Run are on cooldown, and all the castsequences have been executed, then finally Call it a Day?

After calling it a day, does the macro start all over? I knew I can reset it with a timer, e. g. reset=3, but as I understand it, that means if I don’t press the macro for 3 seconds it will reset - or on target switch (e.g. reset=target). What if I am on the same target, like a boss that tanks for a while, does the macro cycle back to the beginning? Or, does it just stop?

Many questions,

Thanks in advance =)

Jalisco

Trying to figure it out on a training dummy =)

Seems random…though that can’t be?

Will post my results in the hopes that it helps someone later, who is also wondering.

Well i can try to help.

I am a 558ilvl ret that pulls 270 dps single target with this. Currently 5/14 heroic SoO. Just for full disclosure i have Inquisition on a separate button and and my burst is on a separate button also, same with the AOE version of this. The [mod] is for my 4pc tier proc for a free Divine Storm. I also use the Razor Naga mouse with the Synapse 2.0 software and have keypressmacros firing off my macro as long as i hold my button down.

Take my macro that i use.

/cast [mod]divine storm
/castsequence reset=0.3 2,2,2,2,crusader strike
/castsequence reset=0.3 2,2,2,judgment
/castsequence reset=0.3 2,2,templar’s verdict
/castsequence reset=0.3 2,exorcism
/cast hammer of wrath

Ok so looking at this macro what it will do is cast hammer of wrath when it come off cooldown. The thing is tho if you just start stacking more /casts under it, those will no fire off under most conditions.

Now it does get goofy, i will admit it. So lets just imagine for a moment i am at range and not in melee range to hit the boss. So what will happen? Well being a Retribution Paladin i have a 2 range attacks. Exorcism and Judgment. From what i have noticed, it will fire Exo first, then Judgment. So it looks likes it going “up” the chain. it will just skip right over my melee abilities and keep firing off ranged.

But you have to take my word for it, that it does not always seem to do that. It actually seems to work from the “top” down, where the top line it always prioritized over the one under it. How do i know it true you may ask. Well i run logs to test how i do in a raid. And being a Retribution paladin i know that Crusader Strike is one of my highest priorities and the number of those that i preform in a fight should be higher than Judgment and Exorcism. There was a time when i had the order a bit mixed up in the macro and decided to take a look at my combat log at World of Logs. I saw that in all my fights i was using judgment ALOT more than Crusader Strike. I had, at the time Judgment where Crusader Strike is now. Switching those two around made all the difference in the world to my DPS and showed me really how these work.

What it looks like happens for me at least, is that it goes up the lines first, then after that its goes from top down. It does seem to take a rotation or two for it to “settle” in to the right grove tho.

I know you also have questions about that reset=3 , they do not work in these priority que macros. If you just had a one line cast chain macro it works there. You can test it by putting a instant cast ability with zero cooldown there and see for yourself. It wont wait 3 seconds to cast it again, it will just spam it. I believe it has to do with the line just get totally reset once it jumps to another line.

Now also you where you have eat sleep drink, Typically those would be on the line with the reset=3. A cast chain macro. Players on this site typically use it them in priority que macros as a “timer” to fire off a maintenance ability.

take a line like this.

/castsequence reset=5 mind flay, mind flay, mind flay, vampiric touch

All that is doing is casting some filler spells then VT, which is a DOT that will fall off eventually. What players can do is add a mind flay or take away a mind flay to time VT so it goes off as close to when it needs refreshed as possible.

I hope that i answered some of your questions. Its is the first time i ever tried to put it down in writing how it it actually works. i hope it made some sense.

Thanks for explanation. A question regarding

. What does 2,2,2,2, do in the castsequence.

[quote quote=11956]Thanks for explanation. A question regarding<br>

. What does 2,2,2,2, do in the castsequence.

[/quote]

Anyone able to answer this?

The 2s are used to prioritize a castsequence (most of the time people on this site use 0s, but any number works) the more numbers, the higher the priority for that ability.

Hi I’m having an issue with this macro:

#showtooltip Arcane Blast
/castsequence reset=0.3 0,0,0,0, Incanter's ward
/castsequence reset=0.3 0,0,0, Ice Barrier
/castsequence reset=0.3 0,0, Arcane Blast
/castsequence reset=target Living Bomb
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

In this setting it only spams Living Bomb every 3 seconds or less.

When I change it to this:

#showtooltip Arcane Blast
/castsequence reset=0.3 0,0,0,0, Incanter's ward
/castsequence reset=0.3 0,0,0, Ice Barrier
/castsequence reset=15/target Living Bomb, Arcane Blast
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

It will cast everything “ok” but it will still recast living bomb every 3-4 seconds sometimes even less.

Is there a way to make living bomb only recast after it as fallen off?

I have been changing a lot of things but nothing (with my limited knowledge) seems to make living bomb recast at the right time. Any help would be wonderful. I’m still trying to figure out all these different macro commands and this is the only one that seems to not do what I want it to.

Living Bomb has no cooldown. It will spam. Best practice is to let it explode, then refresh. Just break down, and do it manually.

Is that how it is with all spells with no CD?

Pretty much. There are ways to time it by adding a long chain macro with LB at the end. I find them to be unreliable tho. I am sure you could find one or two in the Mage forums. You could try just using frost bomb. It has a cd so it won’t spam.

Thanks for the explanation Brent, I have used this site, and hundreds of macros, altering many for leveling - though, it was mostly trial-and-error. grin

It was kind of frustrating, because I actually wanted to make macros with some knowledge of what I was doing =)

I will keep working at it.

But, this explanation has brought me further than anything before. So, thank you Brent!

Thumbs up!