GSE 2 Rollback Link

Opinion

its vertical now rather then horizontal

If they never done it before they need to take the time to read and LEARN how to. I believe that was my first suggestion…

and as its no longer supported it will eventually break. its like putting a bandaid on a wound that needs stitches.

Nothing you stated above changes the fact that the user, ANY user, new or old to GSE, needs to take 10 minutes and LEARN how to create, use, and edit macros using GSE 3. So far you oly been stating opinion and frustration at my answer due to simply not liking it.

Fun fact ~~ variables ~~ have been in GSE for a while now, and for the same reason its confusing to anyone now, it was then, because they didnt learn how to use them. with GSE 3 your FORCED to use them, they replace the need for pre and post macro boxes all together and make the entire macro creation LESS steps. Variables is NOT coding and each individual line ‘/cast blah’ or ‘/castsequence blah, blah’ is entered, used and functions EXACTLY as it did in GSE 2 with only 2 differences. 1. your forced to use variables for pre and post, and 2. your reading and working vertically and not horizontally. Its not difficult.

Adapt to change, dont hate change.

1 Like

Opinion, indeed. And in my opinion GSE3 not ready and experience with doing macro in it are not to my liking. In some time everyone have to move to GSE3 or drop using GSE as Timothy stated that he was not supported GSE2 for 6 month already and have no intention to support it.
As of now those who do not like how GSE was change have option to revert to GSE2 as it still works. For now it is way more usable in my opinion than fight with interface as it is in GSE3.

Pure Bullshit, Some of my macros are just not working in the maw but anywhere else. No logical explanation for that on my side. with gse working fine there, dunno how that is even possible but have this issue with multiple macros

And i agree that its much more complicated for new users, as i started writing macros for myself in gse it took me like 2 minutes to get started because its almost 1:1 the macro interface from Blizz

Opinion for sure but a widely held one. I just made an account to chime in here.

There is quite a big major UI issue here not to mention learning curve…and then right when the patch dropped. Its not about not wanting to change or not wanting to adapt, its about the timing, the learning curve and the upgrade process to not break existing macros.

I heard that the developer builds according to the desires of his patrons which makes sense but at the same time, give me a way to pay a fee built into it and I would gladly pay. TradeSkillMaster does this with their desktop app so it is possible to do.

1 Like

this is against bliz TOS

OK, maybe I’m missing something, but for me the biggest issue is that there is no way to run GSE2 and 3 at the same time. As someone who uses these macros for multiple characters, I have GSE2 macros and no idea when (or if) they will be updated. I’m a macro user, not an author and I don’t want to update someone else’s macro when they may very well be working on it at the same time.

I wish this would have been issued as a new add-on which could be run at the same time (or used GSE2 for one character and GSE3 for another).

I know but be creative…TradeSkillsMaster found a way to do it with their desktop app.

Hi @Leavaris

I fully understand that version 2.0 will break eventually. I will certainly continue to use version 3 to learn it. I just thought it would be helpfull to provide a way to roll-back should anyone wish to, especially given the problems some people have had.

However, as i said in the original post, why it was released on patch day ill never know. Between not knowing if it was GSE 3.0 or the new patch breaking my scripts, it was just a recipe for disaster, and you are seeing the fallout.

Additionally, i cant speak for anyone else, but i wasnt aware version 3 was coming so soon, as a result, when 3.0 live, a lot of scripts broke, (well some did, others not so much) which just added salt to the issue.

Personally i like the block coding aspect, it is indeed easier to learn (never had such things in my day Turbo Pascal FTW :P) but you have to figure that the people already using it dont need it. Sure its helpful for new users, but given that can only be so many a week, your just alienating your current userbase.

I am a big believer in “if it aint broke dont fix it”. That isn’t to say you cant improve something. Choice is what makes everyone happy, forcing change and saying “deal with it” or “just stop moaning and learn” (not yourself specifically, but others in the forums) really doesn’t help the issue.

I guess a happy medium would be to offer straight code, OR block based, give the option, the problem goes away.

Regardless, it is what it is, just felt i had to offer a solution where there apparently wasn’t one.

Straight code is there - it’s the Raw Edit. You can directly code the GSE table structure just like it was in GSE1

Forgive my chuckles…

If they cant figure out how to use a block format they aren’t figuring out how to change and compile the code lol

GSE had this EXACT same backlash when Timothy updated from GSE to GSE2
Itll get better I promise :smiley:

I’ve held my tongue but

It’s not like there was 9 months of development (GSE 3 - initial planning and conceptual ideas) and discussion that people choose not to take part in (GSE3 Under the covers ) or a beta program that people also choose not to take part in (GSE3 enters feature usable state) or a release candidate program that ran for two weeks before release ( including a note on when it was going to be released GSE3 Release Candidate 1) to iron out launch day bugs which people also choose to ignore and not take part in.

Why that day? As it was the best time in the release cycle to not impact raiding or progression.

2 Likes

exactly what I did, and as a caution: take screenshots of what you have now, so that when (hopefully never) we are forced into the new block version, you have a handy guide as to where your commands WERE and where they have been migrated. this should help all of us who are feeling a little bit like beached whales.

Hi @TimothyLuke

Please dont get me wrong, and forgive me for what im about to say. I genuinely have nothing but respect for you and the GSE project (something that should be included with wow by default if im honest!). I cant even begin to imagine how putting so much work into somthing, then face all this backlash feels. I am truly sorry that the rollout hasnt been as well recieved as you had hoped.

But just reading what you wrote, you have kind of answered your own question.

At every step of the development, clearly there was a lack of interest from the community in wanting to test new features or builds. Its either that or the publicity of the update wasnt wide enough to reach everyone. A lot of people on here, including myself, were not aware of the release.

Now its fair to say that this isn’t anyone’s fault, it just unfortunate not enough people engaged with the development, or were not aware of it. But that in itself should shed some light on the negative reception. As i said before, im very much a if it aint broke dont fix it kind of guy, but the change from the default editor to a block based one was enough to brake a lot of scripts and catch a lot of people off guard.

Knowing that there had been little engagement with the development of the update it should come as no surprise that some people are finding it hard to get to grips with. Ironically despite it essentially being an easier method of code development for the end user.

I am 100% sure everyone will get to grips with the new editor, i think it was the fact that by changing the default editor from code to block based, not enough people were aware of how to “port” thier scripts. I now understand that the old editor is still there essentially, but for the average user, thier addon broke and they dont know why. Hence the reason i provided the links to install the old one.

I only say this as despite it being an optimal relese window for the development, it did infact hamper progression for some people. Day 1 of a brand new content update, and no one can get thier addon to work correctly. Looking at it from the end users point of view, especially those who rely on the addon to play (due to disabilities or other reasons) it negatively impacted their ability to play the game.

Im sure im being overly dramatic, and the last thing i would want is for you to take all this with a negative vibe, that really shouldnt be the case at all. All im doing is trying to explain why i belive the reception was so poor, and to potentially help with avoiding negativaty in the future.

I appologise for the length of this post, sadly i have Hypergraphia (we all got our problems right?), but on the plus side it makes me a good coder :wink:

2 Likes

No offence taken and I dont take passion as a negative.

The first person that this has to work for is me. If it doesn’t work for me the way I play I don’t release it. I release alphas to test a number of scenarios when a feature works for me, then release betas when the change is feature complete and i think minor look and feel/polish changes its there. If its a major change we also do a notification window with Release Candidates to find out what I don’t know.

Here comes the disconnect. I don’t know what I don’t know. I can only ask for feedback and ask people to test in their scenario so that situations like this can be prevented. This week I have literally spent 20 hours a day responding with the exception of yesterday which was only 10 and fixing bugs that people have reported via GSE’s GitHub and getting a fix out as soon as I can. This is time I have taken from work as unpaid leave and is time I would gladly spend again.

The issue is if you look at every feature developed in GSE, I have asked for feedback as far back as gse 0.4. I have gotten limited feedback from WLM users everytime. It needs to be noted that just because this community doesn’t care - other communities do. After implementation from WLM I will get “This is the worst thing ever for a couple of weeks” then it becomes “This is actually ok” then it becomes “OMG this is absolutely the way never change this”. The crying now is actually less than the crying for GSE2 back when it was released in 7.1 - Jan 2017

So I build for what I want to achieve in-game. If people don’t care enough to respond at the beginning there is not a lot I can do about it. WLM users consist of about 20% of the people who use GSE. (That means they are a minority not a majority on their own.) There are a number of other communities who do give a lot of feedback. GSE isn’t a WLM mod. It never has been. It is a commonly used mod within the WLM community. My work in it came from my appreciation for this community as a way to give something back. This to me makes this community significant but its still not the only voice I need to listen to.

Its just like people who report bugs here instead of on GSE’s GitHub. They are assuming that 1) I will see it (often times i don’t. I dont come here every day unless its a patch day or a significant change) and 2) will remember to do something about it. WHen i do come here I’m on a phone travelling most of the time. I make the comparison between WoW’s developers and WoWHead. A lot of people yell and scream at a change Blizzard makes on WoWHead but that’s not going to influence the WoW developers in any way. It just makes a lot of traffic for WoWhead.com

GSE has a series of stakeholders who I invite to guide GSE’s development. Lutechi is one of the WLM representatives to that group.

TLDR: This isn’t the only community but it is one of several. I can lead a horse to water but I can’t make it drink.

If you wind me up enough I also have Hypergraphia

1 Like

I’d love to provide feedback but as I am not very knowledgeable about macros and program writing, etc I feel that my feedback would be mostly useless. I am extremely grateful for macros and the GSE program to run them as I have a disability and discovering this site was a Godsend for me as far as playing wow goes. With all that said I just want you guys to know that I’d love to help but I’m not sure how and I also want you to know that I am extremely grateful for your efforts and hard work. I wish there was a way I could help more.

@TimothyLuke

Fair enough man, 100% with you. It just shows how little i know. I cant claim to know of the other communities involved with GSE development, and as such makes most of my points moot.

I genuinely cant imagine what its like to juggle such a mammoth task of dealing with all those involved.

If i have caused any grievance i apologize, that was never my intention. Quite the opposite infact, i saw a number of people having problems and tried to find a solution (temporary as it may have been). Like yourself, i just wanted to help.

But we live and learn right? I now see it would have been more beneficial to help people use GSE 3.0 rather than avoid it/roll it back. That was my mistake and i own it 100%.

But on behalf of the community, i would like to say thank you for the effort involved in the development. Having a software engineering background i understand more than most how underappreciated it can be at times, and i will endeavor be more helpful and understanding in the future.

3 Likes

I honestly have nothing but the highest respect for you. I appreciate totally where you were coming from and would have reacted, and have in the past, the same way.

2 Likes

Hi Timothy, first of all - thanks for your work on GSE, we all appreciate it.
I don’t know what storm was there on GSE2 as i was using SDM at the time or had out-of-wow period then.
As of current situation - I think that if in few weeks prior to 9.1 launch addon were write on a load “HEY, GSE3 IS COMIN” or smth like that with big red flashy letters - it would force users to look for info to be somewhat prepared. I wasn’t coming for WLM in long time, so having sudden GSE3 was a surprise for me.
As of now gse still hard to use (my opinoin) as adding block brings you to top of the list - but i understand that fixing critical bugs now is a way more important and interface can wait.
Thank you for continuous work on GSE.

I spend 10 minutes to create account just to say “Thank You!”. This link should be on the main page!