Common Mistakes in GnomeSequencer Files

[quote quote=21622]

<div class=“d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Psychokitty wrote:</div>Hi! Love your addon. I am having an issue. During raids the buttons stop working getting stuck on the ? icon and will not do anything. In order to fix it i must delete and remake the macros which is killing my dps numbers in fights. (people in pug raids tend to get hostile if they think they are “carrying you” and will boot you out) Any ideas whats wrong? Thanks for any help you can give.

A couple of things: Not my addon, it was written by Semlar I am not certain I have ever seen the behaviour you describe. Not only should lockups of this kind not be happening, but you should not be creating Macros while in combat. So, that being said I suspect there is a flaw in your sequence file and you are presuming a reset that is not happening. What class/ spec are you playing? Are you pressing the macro key manually or with a key repeater? How quickly are you pressing the key? What if any LUA errors are showing up. I happen to know that I can set a keyclick at 200ms, walk up to a targetting dummy and come back 20 minutes later and have GS still running. Because, I did this once accidentally. [/quote]

I am playing a marksman hunter. I am pressing the key manually. I am pressing it fairly fast ~1-2 presses/sec. I have no idea how to see lua errors. if lua errors pop up in chat there have been none.

A post i read stated that they had to change the timing on their mouse, mine was at 1000 now its at 500, maybe this will help. Will let you know.

1-2 times a second is not very fast at all.

To see the LUA errors delete any line in the macro that says “/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()” and replace it with /run UIErrorsFrame:RegisterEvent(“UI_ERROR_MESSAGE”)

then go to a training dummy and try it. Or you can mail you your sequences file and I can see if I can replicate the problem.

First, thank you for all your efforts in helping out I did find in the beginning I was making some of thews mistakes. There is something about Gnomesequencer that is bugging me, because I don’t get it. the use of /castsequence itself.
Sometimes I see the folling

Sequence[‘exmple’] = {
‘/castsequence reset=9 Explosive Shot, Arcane Shot, Arcane Shot’,
‘/cast steady shot’,
}

What exactly is apposed to happen?

[quote quote=21764]First, thank you for all your efforts in helping out I did find in the beginning I was making some of thews mistakes. There is something about Gnomesequencer that is bugging me, because I don’t get it. the use of /castsequence itself. Sometimes I see the folling
Sequence[‘exmple’] = { ‘/castsequence reset=9 Explosive Shot, Arcane Shot, Arcane Shot’, ‘/cast steady shot’, }
What exactly is apposed to happen?
[/quote]

The first time you hit the button it will try to: cast explosive shot and cast steady shot.
The second (and third) time you hit the button it will try to: cast arcane shot and steady shot.
The fourth time will be the same as the first.
The fifth and sixth same as second and third.

What actually happens is going to be the result of what is available via Procs, GCD, & Focus in that order.

Hello everyone,
I have setup up gnome and I get no errors messages and it seems to fire off but it is saying everything I am doing in chat window, is it suppose to do this or have I set something up wrong it is very annoying and i cant see any raid happy with someone announce everything they are doing in raid chat. Also I am using a reg keyboard and mouse does a mouse like the naga help a lot thank you for any info you can provide me.

Mr. Brumbelow,

First off, thanks for all the help you are providing. Ok now to the problem, it seems its a common problem as well. I have followed all instructions to the T and have verified my file extension is visible and hasn’t been mislabeled. My problem comes when I go to make the macro, nothing shows up in the Macro Field. I’ve went as far as taking a file from someone that is currently using and it still hasn’t worked for me. I’ve even triend typing in the info that is supposed to come up in the macro field and still nothing happens. Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi,

I’m kind of new to the site, as far as posting goes, and I’m having problems with GS.

I can’t get it to work period. I’ve looked up tutorial videos, I’ve, of course, read the first page of this thread, to make sure I wasn’t doing anything wrong, and it still won’t work. Everytime I load WoW up, I just get a message saying “Doesn’t do anything yet” or something along the lines of “No sequences in lua file” etcetc. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, and it’s actually really frustrating. When I name the macros in game to the names in the files, I.E: “SurvMT”, nothing happens. It doesn’t recognize it or anything, and the macro is just blank. It’s worked once before for me, but after that one macro, no other macro added to the file would work. So I scrapped the whole thing and tried again. Now, not only do no macros work after that 1 that DID, but now that 1 doesn’t work either. Suffice to say I’m pretty fed up, even though I know it’s probably a user error, lol. Any way you or anyone else can help?

You have spaces at the front of your lines in Sequences.LUA

[quote quote=21892] Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
[/quote]

Joe there were 16 bad code segments I have them fixed but I need an email addy from you (send via PM) in order to send it back to you.

[quote quote=22066]Hi,
I’m kind of new to the site, as far as posting goes, and I’m having problems with GS.
[/quote]

I can almost guarantee you your error has to do with either copying and pasting something new in with bad syntax or you have misnamed your Sequences.LUA file to Sequences.LUA.LUA

Either way, send me a PM with your email addy or send me an email (I am easy to find) with your GS folder and I will look at it.

Thank you Robert,
That work like a charm when I took out the extra spaces.

Ken, Glad to hear it!

Hello, Robert! GS dont work for russian client!. Pls help xD.

Yes it does. I sent you a PM before you posted this, please follow the directions I have already given you.

Was wondering if you could send me a dumbed down detailed email on how to set up GNOME sequencer? I’ve tried a few time’s with no avail. Oneilrudd30@gmail.com thank you. Its for a hunter

1. Gnome sequencer works like any other add on.

Place the folder in the addons folder (typically world of warcraft/interface/addons but some UI mods have their own locations for some reason)

Then copy the file Examplesequences.lua to sequences.lua (alternately if you see a file named examplesequences with no .lua on the end then copy it and name the copy Sequences)

Congratulations, it is now installed.

The problem comes when you copy and paste in new sequences. If you follow the simple rules laid out in this post you can fix every syntax error I have yet seen in the hundreds of sequences I have debugged for people.

When copying a sequence, do not presume it works simply because someone says it does. I have seen so many macros with errors in them that people have reported to be be ‘great’ or ‘flawless’ that I gave up even trying to correct them and started this post instead.

So, first things first, find a sequence you think you want to try.

Open Sequences.LUA (or you may see it as simply Sequences if you are running windows and you are hiding the file name extensions of known file types) in an editor that supports plain text and UTF-8. On windows, Notepad++ works, on a Mac, TextWrangler (or BBEdit) is my preferred editor.

Change the text encoding to UTF-8

Replace all single and double quotation marks with single quotation marks since there are about 8 different stylized versions of these it is easiest to do a find and replace. You want to ultimately have only ’ not " or any other stylized mark.

Next, remove all leading spaces and tabs. there should be no whitespace at the front of a line. example if you see:

text here
     more text here

change it to

text here
more text here

Next find any place in the file where there is an apostrophe for example tiger’s fury or avenger’s shield 99% of the time is will be followed by an s as in the 2 examples I just gave. So, escape the apostrophe with a slash. Tiger’s fury becomes Tiger's Fury, Avenger’s Shield becomes Avenger's Shield.

Save the file.

Next, disable all other addons besides Gnome Sequencer

Launch WoW

If the file is syntactically OK, you will see no errors when you log in. If it is not, you will see something like ‘error expected ] not found near line 33’ or something similar. This does not mean tbe error is on line 33, it usually means it is before line 33.

Open the file, and see if you can spot the issue, it is likely one of the 11 that start this post.

If you do not see any errors, open your Macro interface in WoW, go to your character specific tab and create a new macro with the same name as the sequence. So if your copied sequence is named ‘supersequence’ then you must name the macro supersequence.

GS will then filling 2 lines of text in the new macro and you can drag it to your action bar or wherever.

Turn on your other addons.

Go play WoW.

May I send you my GnomeSequencer File?

Sequencer was working fine then it stopped and I cannot get it to work again.
Did not have any errors.
email: bgarcia87@msn.com

Hello Robert Thank you for taking the time to try and help. I have done everything you said to the best I know how. however I still can not get this to work. if you would take a min. To look at my file I can email it to you. oh by the way I did not have any error codes. it will not show up. I have deleted and down loaded the file 3 times. still no luck. thanks for taking the time to read. Michael
michaelsmith400@gmail.com

Due to the astounding number of people who have messaged me along the following lines:

I read your post
Did Everything you said
GS Showed No Errors

Then sent me their sequences where the errors were exactly the errors listed in this post.

I am no longer accepting sequences for debugging

I know the forum is called wow LAZY macros, but I expected a tiny bit more effort from people.

I have fixed over 100 of your sequences, I have explained all 11 problems I have encountered, there have been no new errors since December.

If GS is not working, it is because you have not followed instructions.

If it shows no errors, it is because you have error reporting hidden. Turn it on!

Thank you thank you thank you, finally got GS to work with you help and guild :slight_smile: