4.2 Priest - Shadow Lazy Macro

Here back with more, this time is our first lazy priest macro for shadow priests. This macro does a very effective rotation, starts out with Shadow Word: Pain every time you target a new mob and goes on with the sequence because mind flay it will renew the DoT. It includes a modifier as a finishing move which is Shadow Word: Death and it also pops all cooldowns available as they come up.

Do not spam, have to do pauses when channeling mind flay
Is spammable now

Macro might be outdated, please check the forums for up to date macros.

Version 1: Without Improved Mind Blast talents

/castsequence [fusion_builder_container hundred_percent="yes" overflow="visible"][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type="1_1" background_position="left top" background_color="" border_size="" border_color="" border_style="solid" spacing="yes" background_image="" background_repeat="no-repeat" padding="" margin_top="0px" margin_bottom="0px" class="" id="" animation_type="" animation_speed="0.3" animation_direction="left" hide_on_mobile="no" center_content="no" min_height="none"][mod]Shadow Word: Death;reset=target Shadow Word: Pain,null
/castsequence [nochanneling] reset=target Vampiric Touch,Devouring Plague,Mind Blast,Mind Flay,Mind Flay,Mind Flay,Mind Blast,Mind Flay,Mind Flay
/cast Shadowfiend
/cast Archangel

Macro Explanation:

Version 2: With Improved Mind Blast talents (PVP)

/castsequence [mod]Shadow Word: Death;reset=target Shadow Word: Pain,null
/castsequence [nochanneling] reset=target Vampiric Touch,Devouring Plague,Mind Blast,Mind Flay,Mind Flay,Mind Flay,Mind Blast,Mind Flay
/cast Shadowfiend
/cast Archangel
/use 13

Macro Explanation:

Do not forget to put your Inner spell and Vampiric Embrace and of course Shadowform, other than that you are good to go!

UPDATED May 25, 2011: Reword code to make it spammable, but had to remove lower trinket, thanks to blackadder for the contribution

UPDATED July 5, 2011: Added an extra Mind Flay for version 1 because it would lock up if does not have the talents to reduce Mind Blast cooldown, had to remove a trinket in order to make this change effective[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]

If written as
#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=target Shadow Word: Pain,null
/castsequence [nochanneling] reset=target Vampiric Touch,Devouring Plague,Mind Blast,Mind Flay,Mind Flay,Mind Flay,Mind Blast,Mind Flay
/cast Shadowfiend
/cast Archangel
/use 13
/use 14
It becomes spammable …but you lose shadow word death

Thanks for your contribution blackadder, I bet if we clean it up a bit we might even fit shadow word death, but might lose trinkets (most of the trinkets are now passive anyway).

I’ll take a look at it when I get other macros done.

I tried this cast sequence and I must say I can do better, yet I have no specific rotation… I just use the most apropriate spell depending on what CD, buffs, or other bonuses I have applied.
Did 5.5k-6.5k with your rotation.
Doing 7.5k-9k with no specific rotation.

My suggestion (as close as I can reproduce my rotation):

/castsequence [nochanneling] reset=target Mind Spike,Mind Spike,Vampiric Touch,Mind Blast,Shadow Word: Death,Shadow Word: Pain,Devouring Plague, Mind Flay,Mind Flay,Mind Flay,Mind Blast

Thanks for trying, all I can say is I tried before the patch before the nerf of DoT’s and was doing around 11-12k dps on blues, but mileage may vary per person or the patch really affected the rotation.
Remember it is just a lazy macro, most of them are not optimal but I will try to check if there are better ways to improve it. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for quick response…

I should clear up some things from my macro.
If you cast Mind spike two times prior to using Vampiric Touch and Mind Blast, then you get a 90% crit chance buff and instant cast of Mind Blast. If you put on Vampiric Touch before using that Mind Blast you’ll also crit on mana regen tick which will give extra 1k mana at the end.

Sounds good, I will look into it as soon as I can.

hey there. first of all thanks for all the hard work. secondly, i’m currently playing as a lvl 52 priest and even though i have my mind blast talents up (all 3 of em) the rotation locks up a lot of times. well not necessarily lock up but it never channels mind flay. sometimes it does. sometimes it doesn’t. can’t figure it out. :slight_smile: i was wondering if these macros are only for lvl 85s. thanks for your time!

Hello Sting, mostly are for level 85’s but with a few touches they can be adapted to lower levels.

Just open your spell book and look for spells that you do not have yet (they are usually at the end of the school of magic pages), now look at the macro and remove any spells that are grayed or have not trained yet. Don’t forget to keep updating it til you are level 85.

Hopefully this answers your question.

i removed…

/cast Shadowfiend
/cast Archangel

which i have neither yet :slight_smile: and yeah it stopped locking. now i’m just struggling with keeping mana up. guess that’s MY problem, not the macros lol. thanks so much for the quick reply!

You are very welcomed Sting! :slight_smile:

So I tried out this macro (version 2 because I do have improved mind blast, though I am PvE, maybe should change that) and I rather like it. I have an item level average of 370 and putting out a constant 13.8K DPS on bosses. I am thinking of changing somethings, not sure what, cause I feel like I should be putting out more DPS, but ultimately don’t know how. Suggestions?

Slight correction, that is boss TRAINING DUMMY, so that is without raid buffs, food, or elixirs.

Hello Khristos, I will try to borrow my friend’s priest and test the macro to compare.
Once I get some results I will let you know how it went.

great macro. just wondering tho with the improved mind blast one, would we be able to replace mind flay with hymn of hope since they’re both channel spells? i just figured altho the dps would go down, it’d help out with mana. thanks!

Hello Jill, the problem with replacing Mind Flay with Hymn of Hope is that it has a big cooldown of 6 minutes and would lock up the macro if it is in the sequence. Also the macro is close to the max character limit and would not be able to fit it in without breaking the rotation. Even if we did not have a limit, it would probably be interrupted by other spells in the sequence, wasting the spell cooldown.

The only way that I see this is feasible is by editing the first line modifier, remove Shadow Word: Death and replace it for the spell you want, that is Hymn of Hope. After this change you would have to do Shadow Word: Death with other action bar button.

Hope this answers your question.

you answered perfectly. totally forgot about the cooldown. i guess i should’ve done my homework, heh. thanks for what you do here. a few of my buddies bash macros but they’re slowly visiting this site one by one to get good ideas for strategy. even if they don’t use your macros, it’s good to know they’re learning from you. needless to say, i’ve used both ret/prot pally macros, and the spriest pvp macro and i’m very content. hope you get somethin back through ads or somethin, cuz you deserve SOMETHING good. :slight_smile:

That was a very nice complement Jill, thank you very much. Even if they are not using my macros, I’m glad that they are learning.

Hey is this guide useful for pvp ? And what are ur burst dmg macro for shadowpriest? Can u help? Isn’t mind spike useful?