Castsequence sharing the same sequence (?)

Hello guys! So, I have a problem with GSE, and maybe the problem is not with GSE at all. I hope I can make you understand.

I have two “/castsequence”, like:

/castsequence a,b
/castsequence a,c

The macro is sharing the castsequences, I mean, the macro casts skill a -> b -> c, without casting skill a and then skill c, in this order! Is this how wow works or is there a solution or a workaround for this to work?

Thanks in advance!

If can do that depending on the state of A the first time you get there. I would suggest as a start reading Understanding castsequence · TimothyLuke/GSE-Advanced-Macro-Compiler Wiki · GitHub

You can also run /gse debug and step through your macro. This is now able to debug castsequence and tell you which part of the sequence was attempted at which point.

1 Like

Yeah I tried debugging, I’m pressing manually so the lines dont get messy, I have only two castsequences in my macro

/castsequence a,b
/castsequence a,c

and the debug isnt showing which spell is being executed, all castsequences debug information are showing “Not able to cast” in red (but IT IS casting the spell), although its all green when I use only /cast.

What version of GSE are you using?

I’m using version 2.6.26

Ignore the not able to cast but look further along the line you should see it describe which part of the castsequence it is trying to cast.

In the screenshot Debug Castsequence and Change icon as the castsequence progresses · Issue #744 · TimothyLuke/GSE-Advanced-Macro-Compiler · GitHub

You will see the “from castsequence spellx (item x)”

This is telling you what was actually tried by Blizzard

1 Like

Edit: I understood the debug. But I figured out my problem is a wow thing, it IS sharing the castsequences progress, like if u have 3 castsequences:

/castsequences a,b,c
/castsequences a,d,e
/castsequences a,f,g

When casting skill a, the 3 castsequences jump to the next skill, I dont know why but thats how it is working for me now.

If that’s happening I would strongly suggest slowing down your macro as the only thing I can think of is WoW is treating the three clicks as one. I can’t replicate this behaviour.

Thats a good point! My macros are all made using 100ms, so I’ll try to go higher and come back here for the feedback. I just remembered thats theres a thing called SpellQueue in wow, default is 400ms, I’ll try to mess with this too, thanks for the help @TimothyLuke

Now i have some good (or bad?) news. It is indeed the press/release ms. I changed the spellqueue to 0, 100, 200, 300 and the default 400 and nothing changed. I changed my press/release ms to 500, and changed inside GSE too and… surprise, the castsequences changed the way they work, lol. I’ll try to find a sweet spot between 100 and 500ms. I’m from South America, my ping is 145~155ms, maybe thats why this is happening! Thank you again @TimothyLuke

Spellqueue has been meaningless for about 11 years so changing that won’t do squat.

I can confirm this issue and add that it has been happening since BFA pre-patch… Example

/castsequence [nochanneling,@targettarget,exists,nodead,help] Power Word: Shield
/castsequence [nochanneling,@target,exists,nodead,harm] Purge The Wicked, Power World: Shield, Penance
/castsequence [nochanneling,@target,exists,nodead,harm] Penance, Power Word: Radiance

If PWS in line 2 is up next, but GCD is still active, the macro advances as expected. If the GCD is complete when it gets to line 1, line 1 casts PWS and when the macro advances, it now skips the PWS command in that castsequence ( line 2 ) and advances to Penance instead of casting PWS ( this case, self cast ). The Penance that was cast in line 2 now “consumes” the Penance in line 3 and line 3 now casts PWR, instead of waiting for the next possible Penance cast to cast it, THEN advance to PWR…

I should note, I always manually cast the GS macro and not use any software solution for clicking. And while I still use the older GS addon actively ( since it allows me to ‘repeat’ lines in a single rotation) the multiple castsequence lines with same spells issue is repeatable in the newer GSE as well…

I have concluded it is a Blizzard server side and/or client software issue, as the above sequence worked as intended without issue from Warlords thru Legion…

If you use skill a it has a global cool down before it can be used again. You don’t have 2 skill A’s so of course it becomes unavailable for the 2nd castsequence.

There is no issue here. You’re trying to use the same skill twice.

It is not a GCD issue and it is not an issue that the spell is unavailable… The issue is it is “consumed” by an entirely different castsequence line prior altogether, and when the spell comes off GCD, it gets skipped… This behavior never existed in GS ( or GSE ) from Mid Mists of Pandara ( the time Blizzard took out the ability to use slot 0 which were the first gen of lazy macros when we all had start using GS ) up til BFA pre-patch… So yes, in my example for example, if Power Word: Shield is used in Line 1, of course it goes on GCD, as expected, and would not be cast by line 2 when the macro attempts to cast it again. However when PWS goes off cooldown, the PWS call in line #2 is not cast, but instead gets ‘skipped’ by line 2 and moved to Penance even thou it was the Power Word: Shield in line 1 that was cast the GCD before, not the PWS in Line 2. And it can not repeat casting it again in line 1, because the Weakened Soul debuff exists on @targettarget. If PWS is cast in line 1, the castsequence in line #2 which also has PWS should not advance to the spell after PWS, because PWS was on GCD…

And to be clear, I am petty sure it isnt a GS / GSE issue, but a Blizzard issue. I used many cases of “gating” spells in many sequences across multi classes since GS / GSE came out. To use spells with longer CD’s in order to throttle spells with no CD of their own so they are not just spammed. In my example PWS/ Penance in Line 2 is used to throttle Purge The Wicked so it doesnt get spammed, and the Penance in line 3 throttles Power Word: Radiance so all 2 charges are not consumed back to back but spread out over it’s recharge time.

From the code snippet you’ve provided above, it isn’t clear spell a is coming off of global cool down.

As written, the first cast sequence consumes spell a and however many milliseconds later tries to call it again. Your claim spell a has come off GCD isn’t supported by the code.

Try this and see what happens:
/castsequence a,b,c
/click pause ~~GCD~~
/castsequence a,d,e
/click pause ~~GCD~~
/castsequence a,f,g

Here, it’s explicit that spell a has come off of the global cool down because of the pause.

Castsequence was removed by Blizzard in BFA’s beta and replaced about 1 week before launch. It has been broken ever since with an increasing number of bugs. Welcome to some of its new quirks.

GSE never has and continues to not have any control over how WoW interprets a castsequence. It sends it to WoW like it always has and simply moves on to the next line.