Dark's Challenge Mode (Mage Tower)

Sorry for the noob question Dark, but is there a way to keep the macro icon from cycling every ability cast? Like how do I set the macro icon as thrash and let it stay as the icon instead of seeing when it fires off moonfire or FR?

[quote quote=56159]Sorry for the noob question Dark, but is there a way to keep the macro icon from cycling every ability cast? Like how do I set the macro icon as thrash and let it stay as the icon instead of seeing when it fires off moonfire or FR?
[/quote]

Ingame macros you can do this by typing #showtooltip Thrash as the first line. I don’t think that this can be done in GSE in any way but I have never tried. Probably a better question for Timothyluke

Thanks Darkonius!

I completed the challenge last week on my druid. Sure, I over geared it, and sure I have (fortunately) my pick of the best legendaries (Luffa, Ekowraith chest, or the moonkin shoulders)–I think I used the Luffa and the shoulders, but I am not a tank =)

I play healer about 99.2% of the time, but wanted to get the skin, which – good or bad, I don’t know, it’s at least pretty unique and interesting.

I think I also went with different talent suggestions–I read a few guides. Swapped around between Frenzy and Brambles, for example.

I completed it in about an hour (my first flask had just about run out, I remember re-flasking with about 1-2 minutes just before completing it).

I got lucky I think. It gets pretty chaotic in the last phase, I just keep thrashing, moving, finding orbs, moving, defensives, interrupting.

Thanks for the easy macro, it was very helpful for this encounter.

I didn’t have to spend time refining the “normal” macro I use when I go bear.

i have a few suggestions:

as good as sephuz is, a bear tar tar will do the same for you. this is pretty much the go to food for bear in mage tower.
mighty bash is the go to talent, you also have intimidating roar for p1 adds, which also works

When using a macro like this what is the general flow? I was watching your video and your run looks so relaxed. Just kinda leisurely clicking every once in a while.

How frequently would you say you press your macro? I feel like I’m mashing the button too fast and screwing something up in my panic.

[quote quote=60151]When using a macro like this what is the general flow? I was watching your video and your run looks so relaxed. Just kinda leisurely clicking every once in a while.
How frequently would you say you press your macro? I feel like I’m mashing the button too fast and screwing something up in my panic.[/quote]

I just finished mine using this macro/guide. I’ll post my thoughts about it to maybe help.

I was sitting at ilvl 932 and used Luffa + Fury of Nature as my leggos. It took 59 tries… some of those I tried using Luffa + Prydaz and Luffa + Sephuz, but Fury of Nature seemed to work best. I ran out of augment runes early on, and got demoralized and didn’t buy any more Seventh Demon flasks.

I did use Bear Tartare on every run. I stopped using my Potion of Prolonged power in the beginning, and waited until phase 2 popped to use it + Drums of Fury. Now for phases:

Phase 1

I had Luffa, so it changed it a bit. When event starts, moonfire dude and wait until he stops at Velen in the center. Then I started running circles around the perimeter of darkness on ground. Keep running circles, kill eyes when they are up (1 moonfire should do it, sometimes instant, sometimes the DoT has to finish), and interrupt Drain Life. Eyes will keep your Tartare buff going pretty good and just keep spamming macro to keep everything else on you. If you or Velen get low, just grab an orb - I only used them for health. If the elemental things run to Velen, get the hell over there and thrash to get them back on you. Don’t freak out here, just take it leisurely and make sure you’re interrupting Drain Life and not letting things beat on Velen.

The moonfire macro up there didn’t work for me for the eyes, so I used this:

#showtooltip
/tar Tormenting Eye
/cast [nodead] Moonfire
/stopmacro [nodead]
/targetlasttarget
/cast moonfire

Phase 2

When I popped in, I immediately clicked: Set Kruul as focus target macro, Potion of Prolonged Power, Drums of Fury, and Incarnation. Beat the macro like your life depends on it and run around to avoid the swirly shit on ground (you can jump over it if you have to). Interrupt Twisted Reflection at all costs, it’s over if you don’t so save Skull Bash for that. Annihilation hurts, but you can eat it if your health is good. I attempted to use either Mighty Bash or an Orb to get these every time - if you have to eat Annihilation, you’ll need an orb anyway. Don’t stand in the fel pools if you can help it… and get the hell out of them if he spawns them on you.

You’ll get thrown at some point, happened about 8/10 times… there was just too much going on for me to be able to watch for that. Put some Goblin Gliders on a hot key and beat it the second you’re in the air. Saved me a lot of times

I got him less than 5% about 15 times before dying, getting thrown off, or letting Velen die. It’s demoralizing, it’s not fun, but man you look cool as snow white man bear. I felt so hardcore after that, I switched to cat and got the Feral appearance in 3 tries - it’s cake once you can do this one.

To end - Phase 1 becomes cake after a few tries. It’s nothing to laugh at, but it’s manageable. Phase 2 is where you freak out, I’ll never think of that experience as anything but insane. I just kept running around to dodge the swirly yo-yo things and get away from green shit, but stayed near enough the orbs that I could hit them as needed. You can do this - after my first 5 attempts I said I wasn’t a good enough player, after 50 I cursed the game and cleaned my house, and at 59 I succeeded while doing nothing different than I had been for at least the past ~20 times before it. Most of it is learning the fight, but occasionally RNGesus decides to shine upon you and sometimes he doesn’t.

I wanted to say here too that this macro worked for me last night to beat Kruul. I used the one without mods. Roughly 930 ilvl and Eko and Luffas for legendaries. Forgot to use Drums in my first attempt and still got Kruul to 2 percent. Beat him on the second attempt. Thank you, Dark!!

Thanks for this. I really appreciate all your time and effort. I’ve just come back to WoW and am scrambling to get my mage tower challenges done. This toon has been parked since the beginning of Legion.

I used your ‘no modifier’ version along with my macros for the eyes and interrupts. Success after only 13 wipes, dying mostly to inadvertently being smashed by the infernal. Not bad for a total scrub.

/respect