Explaining the leading 0 technique

So, the most common macro type we see here is this:

/castsequence reset=target Serpent Sting,null
/castsequence reset=0.5 0,0,0,0,Explosive Shot
/castsequence reset=0.5 0,0,0,Black Arrow
/castsequence reset=0.5 0,0,Glaive Toss
/castsequence reset=0.5 0,Kill Shot
/castsequence reset=5 Arcane Shot,Cobra Shot

The first line is pretty self explanatory, exept i change it to reset=target/5 for those with the 4 part T16 bonus. That’s because if you get a long enough streak of procs from the bonus, your sting will drop and since you didn’t change target, it won’t refresh. Believe me, it will happen.

Now, 0 being a null item it just skips to the next one until it reaches an actual skill it can cast.
What does that mean, well, put simply, the more 0 there are, the lower is the priority of the skill at the end of the line.

About the first 0.5, consider this as your latency, basically, if your ping is 50ms, your should use 0.5, if your ping is 90ms you should use 0.9, never go beyond 0.9 though as it will most likely cause issues.

In other words, the priority in the macro above is wrong as it should be:

/castsequence reset=target Serpent Sting,null
/castsequence reset=0.5 0, 0, 0, 0, Glaive Toss
/castsequence reset=0.5 0, 0, 0, Fervor
/castsequence reset=0.5 0, 0, Black Arrow
/castsequence reset=0.5 0, Explosive Shot
/castsequence reset=2 [mod] Cobra Shot; [nomod] Arcane Shot, Cobra Shot

I personally even switch Explosive shot and Black Arrow since i have the 4 part t16 bonus i want my Black Arrow dot running as early as possible.

Lastly, well let’s face it, this is a macro, you won’t ever reach the same dps you would by playing manually.

The macro won’t ever account for focus/haste burst or starvation, meaning that you want the smoothest focus regeneration you can have.

The best way to achieve that is through Fervor, and as a bonus, you should also take Blink Strike for its synergy with Fervor (+50% increased damage on basic attacks, Bite attacks dealing 100% more damage and costing 100% more focus if the pet is above 50% focus.)

Now people, try it and let me know what you guys think.

I’m having an issue with a macro getting hung up after one or two casts, I’m wondering if this is part of the problem. It’s an arcane mage macro from the site here, slightly modified. It casts frost bomb, which I want to get on the target right away, then casts one arcane blast and gets hung up. I used the original 5.4 arcane macro from the forum here and it was getting hung up on boss fights and adds with a lot of health before they died. The only way I could get it to fire off again was to unselect the target and re-target. Any ideas?
Here’s the macro in its current form:
edit: my latency is 76ms, and I play on a wireless connection

#showtooltip
/castsequence [nochanneling]reset=0.9 Frost Bomb
/castsequence [nochanneling]reset=0.9 Arcane Blast,Arcane Blast,Arcane Blast,Arcane Barrage
/castsequence [nochanneling]reset=0.9 0,0,Arcane Missiles
/castsequence [nochanneling]reset=0.3 0,Arcane Missiles
/castsequence [nochanneling][combat] reset=0.9 Incanter's Ward,Arcane Power 
/targetenemy [noharm]

after re-reading and comparing side to side I came up with this:

#showtooltip
/castsequence [nochanneling]reset=0.9 0,0,0,0,Arcane Missiles
/castsequence [nochanneling]reset=0.3 0,,0,0,Arcane Missiles
/castsequence [nochanneling]reset=0.9 0,0,Arcane Blast,Arcane Blast,Arcane Blast,Arcane Barrage
/castsequence [nochanneling]reset=0.9 0,Frost Bomb
/castsequence [nochanneling][combat] reset=0.9 Arcane Power 
/targetenemy [noharm]

Seems to work, now to see if it stalls after a long test.

And this is the hunter forum :frowning:

Why put space between each other thought they were suppose to be closer?

Oh you can remove those spaces, that makes absolutely no difference.

The addon i use allows me clarity, is all.

or u can read
https://wowlazymacros.com/forums/topic/the-castsequence-reset0-3-0-explanation

[quote quote=11000]or u can read

https://wowlazymacros.com/forums/topic/the-castsequence-reset0-3-0-explanation

[/quote]

Which sadly, is wrong :frowning:

and why it is wrong if i may ask?

Well, read both, you’ll understand.

so u do not know. ok got it

Oh but i do, but obviously you don’t, hence why i’m telling you to read both and understand the difference.

dude with my wrong comprehensive of 0s working then i must be very wrong cause with my guide in mind i made all of my macros i have contribute in this site and i am in top 5 dps even with a blood tanking macro.
so either i got too lucky with it or i was smarter than u to understand how it works

Well, i have been coding with the wow api and lua for over 6 years now, written my own superduper addon about 15k lines of codes related to addons and have a pretty good understanding of how macro work in general.

I was only trying to help the community here and if you can’t understand basic mathematics and priorities such as these, i can’t help you.

Either way, if you don’t like it, don’t use it, as simple as that.

i know u try to help but do not discard other peoples effort.
i have no clue of programming and i cant say about coding and stuff, bit i spent like 2 months on tweaking and testing the macros i have posted here only by using recount and scrolling combat text.
if that makes me an idiot then i am

I never said such a thing.

Anyway, next time i want to try and do something to help people, well, i just won’t.

Dan! I like what you wrote, and obviously you should write what you know. There are so many out there who do not know anything about macros and how to use it.

I think it was mentioned before but for some reason since the last patch the top attack line “/castsequence reset=0.5 0, 0, 0, 0, Glaive Toss” doesn’t work anymore, same with my other macros the 2nd line doesn’t fire off anymore. Not sure why? any thoughts Dan?

Looks like its only allowing 3 lines of 0 attacks instead of 4

This might sound silly but the addon you’re using may be “outdated”. On the character selection screen, click the addon button (bottom left) and there, check the box “use out of date addons” if it’s not already.

Now, the only reason i can think of would be your extended macro addon not working for some reason, because my macros work just fine as of today.

Im using Super Duper Macro, and when I open it up it gives a error now and asks to disable or ignore, and I hit ignore and can make changes and it works up to the point that only 3 attack lines work instead of 4.

Yeah thought so, that’s the only explanation, try another macro addon maybe :confused: