Frost – 5.0

A friend of mine sent me this lazy macro for Frost mages, I hope you guys like it. If you can make it any better please post your version to let us know.

/castsequence [mod]Frostfire Bolt;reset=30 Ice Barrier,null
/castsequence reset=combat Frostbolt,Frostbolt,Ice Lance
/cast Frost Bomb
/castsequence [combat]reset=60 Frozen Orb,Mirror Image,Icy Veins,Frozen Orb,Frozen Orb
/use 13
/use 14

frozen orb now does not cast and i do not know why

please check it out and let me know

Hi Baboulas, I updated the macro with one a friend sent me. Is the first thread of this topic on the first page. Check if that one works better for you.

my macro was working perfectly

but now does not cast frozen orb

not even your macro does

is it something wrong with mine client?

pls try mine and let me know

i made a frightening discovery!!!

i created a normal macro with just /cast Frozen Orb

guess what. it did not cast lol sure there is a bug with this one

This seems to lock up for me on the Ice Barrier

Hi again guys here is my updated macro for frost - all these others lock up at some stage or another - 4 points to note. Also my mage is only level 88 at this stage. My level 90 talent will be invocation for the 25% extra spell damage buff for 40 seconds.

Current talents as follows Scorch,Ice Barrier,Ice Ward,Greater Invisibility,Frost Bomb.

Major Glyphs are Frost Nova,Ice Lance,Evocation.

1 Frost Bomb in a castsequence will eventually lock up the macro

2 It is imperative where Ice Barrier is positioned in the macro or it will lock up.

3 Frost Bomb>Icebolt combo always guarantees a Brain Freeze proc and my macro does just that.

4 In my opinion having Ice Lance in the castsequence is a dps loss however I left it there because it seems to proc often enough to leave it there. Feedback welcome :slight_smile:

/targetenemy [noharm]
/castsequence reset=target Frostbolt,Fire Blast,Ice Lance,Frostbolt,Ice Lance,Frostbolt,Fire Blast,Ice Lance,Frostbolt
/cast Frost Bomb
/cast Ice Barrier
/cast Ice Ward
/cast Frozen Orb
/cast Mirror Image
/cast [combat]Icy Veins

Fully tested on the dummy for 10 minutes solid, not one lockup. Casts every spell it’s supposed to on time - I did notice sometimes (rarely) Frostbolt will cast before Frost Bomb even though Frost Bomb is ready but this is way better than in a castsequence macro. Hope you guys will use/test this and have fun.

Cool, will try this myself as my mage is 88 as well. Will let you know.

I have tested this for a little while but it still seems to lock up on Fireblast every now and then. This is likely being due to the overcomplicated way Blizzard have changed the spell casting so that many spells depend on procs and accumulated spell stats (on some classes) not to mention cooldowns.

My mage is level 88 and the DPS I have found to be marginally better with this macro. Having said that, my DPS is only about 12k (No dungeons yet). I havent got a clue how Simulationcraft (as posted by Frost Mage Guide | WoW Dragonflight 10.0.2) gets 105k+ from. I can’t be that bad.

Anyway, enough side tracking, another problem I have found is with Frozen Orb. This can be big trouble if used in the wrong place at the wrong time as it is an AOE spell. I now don’t use the macro where I don’t want to pull any unnecessary agro as I have died on numerous occasions due to the AOE pulling in more than I can handle. Possibly this should be left out on seperate button.
Maybe it is almost impossible to put everything on a single spammable button. I think that maybe two or three buttons would be required.

One thing as well, remember to change Frost Bomb out for whatever spell you chose on the fifth line of the talents. I personally have Nether Tempest which I am told deals more damage.

I will try to find time to mess about with the macro when I get home from work.

Hi David I know what you mean about pulling too many due to the aoe affect of Frozen Orb but for this macro to work properly Frozen orb is not ultimately necessary but due to lack of Ice Lance/FFB procs Orb causes the macro will hesitate on Fireblast due to CD only - now this is not a lockup it is a 1 second max CD wait time so it is essential to build your character correctly to get maximum procs to fill that 1 second gap. Very rarely I need to wait that 1 second for Fireblast CD due to the other fillers like Mirror Image, Ice Ward and Ice Barrier. Also remember that Ice Ward freezes the target so does Frost Nova and in both cases manually hitting Ice Lance are fillers as well.

Needless to say for dungeons it’s pretty sweet as is. My stats priority is Hit > Haste > Crit (to cap) > Mastery > Crit - haste is your friend with Ice Mage. Oh and doing 26k dps at level 88 dungeons using my macro but I am in mostly dungeon blues.

If you do not want Frozen Orb in there then take it out and add 1 Frostbolt in the first sequence like this.

/castsequence reset=target Frostbolt,Fire Blast,Ice Lance,Frostbolt,Ice Lance,Frostbolt,Frostbolt,Fire Blast,Ice Lance,Frostbolt,Ice Lance,Frostbolt

This way you now have 3 Frostbolts before each Fireblast. I made the original macro tight because I like it that way - you can play around with it to get it pretty exact by filling with either Ice Lance or Frostbolt. The great thing in any case is my macro opens with frostbolt always as opposed to some of the other ones here that opened with Frost Bomb which doesn’t slow the mob. Using what I made the mob is always dead before it gets to me or at least it only gets one hit on me. The main thing is if you leave Frozen Orb in the macro, choose your pulls wisely as I always do playing a mage.

Edit - one last thing I just remembered Fire Blast has a 30 yd range while Frostbolt has a 40 yd range so make sure if you are casting FB (frostbolt) at max range it will work like this FB/Talented spell/Fire Blast so by that time the mob is normally in range but if not I run in a tad to the 30 yd range point and resume.

Michael, I have been testing this out and yes, you are right about the range of fire blast. I just had to wait a second for a melee mob to run towards me or if it was a caster, I would have to close the gap. Not really a problem at all.

I am still in the process of checking this out and I did try adding Presence of Mind but this tended to trash the macro. I have also added in my trinkets and the error silencing lines:-

/run SetCVar(“Sound_EnableSFX”,“0”)
/targetenemy [noharm]
/castsequence reset=target Frostbolt,Ice Ward,Fire Blast,Ice Lance,Frostbolt,Ice Lance,Frostbolt,Frostbolt,Fire Blast,Ice Lance,Frostbolt,Ice Lance,Frostbolt
/cast Frost Bomb
/cast Ice Ward
/cast Mirror Image
/cast [combat]Icy Veins
/use 13
/use 14
/run SetCVar(“Sound_EnableSFX”,“1”)
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Something still isn’t quite right somewhere and I can’t put my finger on it.

Not sure if you intended Ice Ward to be in the castsequence but that will lock it up specially that it is down below so will always be on CD.

I haven’t played my mage for a few days but a good point about Ice Ward. I could have sworn I had seen it in some macro somewhere. Ah, yes, found it. It was in your macro that you posted on November 18, 2012 at 10:50 am.

I will take it out and see what happens. I can’t remember why I added it in the first place, really. It’s quite easy to thrown one in during a sequence when required.

5.04 Frost

/castsequence [mod]Frostfire Bolt; Frostbolt
/cast Frost Bomb
/castsequence reset=180 Mirror Image,Icy Veins
/castsequence reset=90 Frozen Orb,Presence of Mind
/use 13
/use 14

and your welcome. :slight_smile:

So that just everybody gets this:

Make sure FrostFire Bolt and Ice Lance are on your bars. Ice Lance with procs of Fingers of Frost and FrostFire Bolt for Brain Freeze. You can use Deep Freeze instead of Ice Lance but it becomes a waste of a CD.

Heres what i’m using with SDM

/castsequence reset=target/combat living bomb, frostbolt, Ice Lance, fire blast, frostbolt, Ice Lance, frostbolt, Ice Lance, frostbolt, Ice Lance, frostbolt, Ice Lance

/cast Frozen Orb
/cast Mirror Image
/cast Icy Veins
/cast Ice Barrier
/cast Ice Ward
/cast Deep Freeze
/cast Presence of Mind

Hi Brandon,

Looks good. Me personally I would choose the frost bomb talent as it is better for the spec.

i tested it

it is good but sometimes it stucks and i do not know where and why

used frost bomb for more dmg

/cast Frostfire Bolt !
does not cast when procs

is there any way to put
/cast Frozen Orb in there?

tested it again and frozen orb does not cast no matter what

cant figure out why