Frost Mage Made Simple (Kinda)

*I am a complete utter noob at Weak Auras so they may not be the best but if anyone would like to improve them the i am happy to repost a better set but for now it works for the purpose needed.

Ok so Frost Mage has been bugging me for some time now and i could never sustain using either fast or slow macros. I think for macro purposes it’s been thought over complicated; So today i have spent some time on working this out using the Thermal Void build again as it appears to be the go to spec for now.

This is not a 1 button macro unfortunately but, i have worked out it’s a 3 button rotation. 2 are for procs so they do NOT need to be macroed. I tried to make it 2 buttons and use a castsequence between Flury and Ice Lance but this wouldn’t work as you would end up using Flurry hard cast without a Brain Freeze proc and this was completely undesirable as well as a DPS loss.

I am not going to make this a [mod:] function, if you want that then that’s up to you to add in :slight_smile:

So what is it and what does it do?

Well, in the main macro you will have:
Ebonbolt which will proc Brain Freeze and allow insta cast of Flurry.
Icy Veins To stay on Cooldown and increase your spell casting - Also the aim of the build is to try and extend Icy Veins for as long as possible.
Frostbolt While filler, it’s also important in the hunt for Brain Freeze and Fingers of Frost procs.
Frozen Orb Also used for slowing mobs down and building up those Fingers of Frost procs - To be on cooldown too.

That’s it!
Other than i have also added in Ice Barrier to the Keyrelease but this can be safely removed if you would rather use it manually.

The other buttons to have in this rotation is Flurry and Ice Lance. Just drag them from your spell book and add then on your action bars where you can press them once they are needed.

Now, i have also added in some Weak Auras to help out, not so much my benefit but just so you know what to use and when.

Rotation:

Start off using the main macro which will use Ebonbolt as the opener, once that’s fired off hit Flurry followed by Ice Lance. (Weak Aura will remind you to do this)
Keep using the main macro until you get FoF charge and then use Ice Lance (Weak Aura will remind you to do this too)
If you get a Brain Freeze Proc then allow your last spell to go off (No stopcasting) and use Flurry followed by Ice Lance. However if you have both FoF and Brain Freeze active, use Ice Lance first to be rid of your FoF charges and then follow it up with Flurry and then Ice Lance and back to the macro again.
Rinse and Repeat.
Getting all the procs right is also how you can extend the time limit of your Icy Veins

The macros can be changed to either an ST build or Cleave AoE simply by changing out Frozen Touch Splitting Ice as well as Unstable Magic for Artic Gale. These are both passives so there is no need to change any spells/macro.

Macro:
This can be spammed at any speed you like but remember you will also need to press procs so either release the macro for that or slow it down. I suggest 140 should be good enough.

Sequences['DamnItsCold'] = {
-- This Sequence was exported from GSE 2.1.01.
  Author="Mockery@Saurfang",
  SpecID=64,
  Talents = "2132121",
  Help = [[Crit33%>Haste>Vers>Mastery
ST Talents - 2,1/2,3,2,?,2,1
AoE/Mythic/Adds - 2,1/2,3,3,?,3,1]],
  Default=1,
  MacroVersions = {
    [1] = {
     Combat=true,
      StepFunction = "Sequential",
      KeyPress={
      },
      PreMacro={
      },
        "/cast Ebonbolt",
        "/cast Icy Veins",
        "/cast Frostbolt",
        "/cast Frozen Orb",
      PostMacro={
      },
      KeyRelease={
        "/cast Ice Barrier",
      },
    },
  },
}

Weak Aura String: (only if you need/want to use it)
Simple Frost Mage WA String

If anyone would like a Video on how it’s used, let me know and i will happily make one :slight_smile:

Hey Cymiryc!

Gonna check out your macro-just imported it.

Your WA to me seems a little confusing. I’m currently using this one here: Wago

In what way confusing?

I am totally new to making WA’s that i could only make text.

Just wanted to make it pop up to use Ice Lance ASAP once FoF proc’s and use it as priority before firing off Brain Freeze Flurry’s while reminding to Ice Lance again after Flurry.

I will take a look at the one you use, but generally i just go by the Blizzard art.

[quote quote=48478]In what way confusing?
I am totally new to making WA’s that i could only make text.
Just wanted to make it pop up to use Ice Lance ASAP once FoF proc’s and use it as priority before firing off Brain Freeze Flurry’s while reminding to Ice Lance again after Flurry.
I will take a look at the one you use, but generally i just go by the Blizzard art.
[/quote]

To me it’s the way it’s worded on when when to use Ice Lance/Flurry and which to use first. But that’s just me-I’m sure someone will pick up on it easily.

Hey Cymiryc,

I appreciate all the work you do on these macros. Can you post a sample script from AHK or what ever you use? I want to start using AHK but don’t know where to begin.

Dan

Macro works very well. Just ran Cathedral with zero problems.

I use the other WA cause it tells when to use Ice Lance and Flurry in those big blue orb thingies.

[quote quote=48480]Hey Cymiryc,
I appreciate all the work you do on these macros. Can you post a sample script from AHK or what ever you use? I want to start using AHK but don’t know where to begin.
Dan
[/quote]

this is the one i am using personally:

#IfWinActive, World of Warcraft
#NoEnv
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%
CoordMode, Mouse, Window
SendMode Input
#SingleInstance Force
#InstallKeybdHook
#UseHook, On
SetTitleMatchMode 2
DetectHiddenWindows On
#WinActivateForce
SetControlDelay 1
SetWinDelay 0
SetMouseDelay -1
SetBatchLines -1
SetKeyDelay, 140
Critical
#MaxHotkeysPerInterval 100000
Sleep 0

$numpad1::
While GetKeyState(“numpad1”,“P”){
ControlSend, , =,A
}
Return

$numpad2::
While GetKeyState(“numpad2”,“P”){
ControlSend, , -,A
}
Return

$numpad3::
While GetKeyState(“numpad3”,“P”){
ControlSend, , 0,A
}
Return

$numpad4::
While GetKeyState(“numpad4”,“P”){
ControlSend, , 9,A
}
Return
*NumpadEnter::
Return

Great! I appreciate it.

Works good here is a video of pretty much what this does. Good explanation of it as well

Thanks Ult, this exact video is where i pulled the inspiration for the macro :slight_smile:

So the last days i tried to improve this macro (i always try to improve…no offense :slight_smile:
But it seems to do almost everything the icy veins guide suggest.
I use your macro with a 100 ms delay and i am using ice lance with 3 charges, flurry when brain freeze + one ice lance.
On start i get good numbers, but after 5 minutes on dummy i am doing only 80% of the simulatet numbers.
At raid conditions with mechanics it will be even lower.
I dont understand why i dont get better numbers with this macro. The only thing i can imagine is the missing ice lance without 3 charges (icyveins say priority ice lance with 3 charges >>>>>> on bottom ice lance with 0 charges.) …dont know how to make use of this information, when i am supposed to use it with 3. Maybee this is the damage that is missing.
I am curios what numbers you guys getting. Is there something on my site maybee that i am doing wrong.

You shouldn’t not use Ice Lance in the rotation.

What it means is, if you have Fingers of Frost proc’d (3 Ice Lances to use) then prioritise that over using Flurry, even if that procs from Brain Freeze, you have some time to use it.
Essentially you want to dump ALL of your FoF charges before using Flurry.

If you have dumped everything, you have no Brain Freeze or FoF’s to use, Frozen Orb is on cooldown and Ebonbolt is still recharging, then go ahead and use Ice Lance since it’s lowest in priority but higher than Frostbolt.

Your opener should look close like:

Frozen Orb
Icy Veins
Dump Fingers of Frost charges with Ice Lance
{Ebonbolt
-Flurry
-Ice Lance}
Frostbolt
Dump Fingers of Frost charges with Ice Lance
Frostbolt

Thank you Cymiryc, once again you helped me a lot! This little “guide” you wrote here is so mutch easier to understand than the icyveins one!
Now i will need some more exercise on my mage and a decision which alt i gonna play now…really hard to choose :slight_smile:

just started screwing around with my frost mage and leveling one. Im curious on the AoE aspect of the DPS. What would you suggest on a AoE pull what type of rotation blizzard does not seem to do much damage at all

Depending on Raids or Mythic+
Mythic+ go Fire.

For AoE pulls you don’t have too many options but do have enough to get the job done.

Pre Cast your Ebonbolt into Flurry into Frozen Orb then Blizzard and then Ice Lance (best if you have splitting ice) continue to Ice Lance through Fingers of Frost.

Use any and all Fingers of Frost charges BEFORE you Flurry or you will waste the empowered Ice Lance from Flurry

Any updates for 7.3. I noticed blizzard reduces cd on frozen orb. is it beneficial to use blizzard more now

Why would there be an update for 7.3 if nothing has changed in talents or rotation? Tell me what has changed other than 7.2.5 into 7.3?

Frozen Orb should always be used, it is one of your main sources of Fingers of Frost for those empowered Ice Lances…

Blizzard has always been beneficial to use on more than 3+ targets but its not a priority over Frozen Orb+Ice Lances. You wouldn’t really use it as a staple spell on single targets.

Hey Cymiryc

Is it possible to make the macro with mod’s?

such as following…

/cast [mod:alt] Flurry
/cast [mod:ctrl] Ice Lance
/cast [mod:shift] Glacial Spike

i tried myself to put it in the keypress box

but it just makes the macro stall! :’(

Sure can, its how I have mine modded on Frost Mage. I can post what I have when I get home from work tomorrow.

On a side note though it shouldn’t be freezing the macro as those lines are only invoked on mod.

I dont use Glacial Spike as that changed my stat weights away from the Fire Mage gear I had.