GSE and 250ms - Do we care about bans?

Question for everyone who use this with a disability. Most macro’s here are made with the use together with 3rd party autofire software. Are everyone using that or if you are not, how are you using it? I understand a well made /castsequence can be made for regular pressing, but those macros seems few and far between.
Personally, i have been using this for several years just because i am lazy and cant be bothered with pressing the right buttons at the right time. At the same time it seems something has shifted since i played, i see now more macros run at 250ms to avoid getting banned, and i cant remember that being an issue people cared much about earlier as the norm was ms+50ms fire rate. Has anything happened lately that has changed this?

@Kong-Kvernhaug
Running GSE 3 at faster speeds you start to flood the input queue for spells and abilities possibly skipping over them and not smoothing out the macro’s rotation for consistent results aka a loss in DPS for instance.

/castsequence macros is and has been broken for a long time by Blizzard and should possibly be reworked.

I use Razer Synapse starting at 250 ms and test macros at speeds of a 50 ms increase to see if there’s a DPS gain.

1 Like

When Blizzard changed their stance on Multiboxing they targeted some of the third party tools we were using. There have been many thousands banned for using AHK in very dumb ways. THis is a much longer post from a year ago - Guide: macros, WoW, you and more - #55 by TimothyLuke but the TLDR is using a third party tool is not safe. Its all about a measure of risk. at 250ms you don’t have an unfair advantage which you do over someone running at 50ms.

At a technical level all that stuff that Deexzyl has written is very real and a thing. if you run at 10ms you will DC yourself unless you are running a very powerful computer. Add to that running at 50 milliseconds your macro is just playing random whackamole so you have no control over what it is doing and no chance of making diagnosing what your macro is doing or why.

MODeration Note: I moved this to a new thread as it could disrail the original location.

1 Like

So here is possibly a dumb question.

When people say run at 250ms. My assumption is that is the total time for a Key Press and a Key Release. Are they to be split evenly at say 125ms each? This is my quandary…

Yes. 125 ms up and 125 ms down per each keystroke.

My Nostromo has MS delay between each Key Press. So the key release just happens with no delay between Down and Up. As in I have not set a delay. I have the facility to add a delay but couldn’t see any reason.

As such with this set up should I run 250ms between Key Down? Because I’m running 50 to 75ms.

@TimothyLuke not to make a new thread… but if I set the ms for testing purposes to 10,000 ms and I push the Macro button the macros still execute, it doesnt pause for 10 seconds. Does the ms thing even work at all? or is this only for loops and StepFunctions

Inside combat GSE has no access to combo points, unit health, mana etc or time. I can’t tell how long has passed between one click and the next. If you are spamming at a consistent rate of say 250ms (purely for the maths) then it knows that 4 clicks = 1 second - 4 x250milliseconds = 1 second.

The way the pause function works is if GSE knows what speed you are consistently spamming (the external timing options) and that the same value you enter on GSE’s options matches what you use in AHK etc then it can count time by counting clicks. The pause works by padding your macro with a number of clicks that it effectively ignores.

The math on this is extremely important. If you Clare spamming at 250ms and tell GSE that and then want a pause for 0.6 seconds then GSE will wait 3 clicks. 250ms doesn’t divide evenly into 600ms so it rounds 2.3 or so to 3. The pause works by counting and ignoring x number of clicks based purely on mathematics. It can’t take into account things like haste reducing the GCd and it can’t count when you don’t click as it has not other reference to measure time.