GSE Pause / Wait: Stop Wasting Multi Charges Abilities

I know I am necro-ing an old thread, but I wanted to pitch out there a discovery I had with pause. I couldn’t find this mentioned elsewhere.

Lutechi’s example works well because Infernal Strike is NOT on the GCD. Let me explain.

When I first thought this, this seemed like a no brainer for any Buff/Debuff to refresh on a regular interval. For example, BM has Barbed Shot, why can’t I do this here.
i.e. Create a Sequential Macro, let’s call it BARB_REFRESH:
/cast Barbed Shot
/click pause 6.5
Next, from your main 1-button macro, put at the top of your KeyPress:
/click BARB_REFRESH

Well, as you probably guess, this doesn’t work. At first this was remarkably puzzling, because if you use the BARB_REFRESH by itself, it works awesome, yet when its put inside another macro, not so-much. So what gives?

I have a guess. See your normal 1-button macros is probably busy doing all sorts of stuff, particularly casting abilities on the GCD. So, what is most likely happening is the BARB_REFRESH, although working reliably when it is the only macro running, you are hoping that one click (for example if you are running at 100 ms) out of 66 (i.e. 65 for the pause, and 1 for the Barbed Shot cast) you are not GCD locked. When it hits Barbed Shot, if you are on the GCD, the line get skipped and your move right back into pause.

I don’t really see away around this one if its your intention to try to use pause to “prioritize” a timed refresh that is on the GCD.

Feel free to correct me if somebody has another explanation.

1 Like

Hello Cass,

Yes, you are not wrong.

It will be accurate with off the global cooldown abilities only.

Any other GCD will be random and not accurate, at this point might as well put them in the macro somewhere.

Hello, I know post is old but had a question? can u have more than one pause macro in a main macro as long as they have a different pause time? for example if your doing unholy dk and made one for outbreak paused for 25, one for festering strike paused for 29, and soul reaper paused at 6. and do they need to be in keypress section only? thank you for any info and have a great day

Hi Kenny,

If you mean import another macro with a delay yes.

However, there is a catch. Global Cool Downs (GCD).

All those abilities that you mentioned share a GCD, meaning they will be competing with other abilities and most likely will never fire off as the main macro would most likely take priority over the imports or whichever it picks.

Now if they were all Off the GCD then they would fire off perfectly all the time, but in your case, they can’t. At this point if they were off the GCD then might not need to import them as most likely they might have their own cooldown and you can stuff them all in the keyrelease and be happy going off as soon they are available. But if they have charges then is the purpose of this post to delay them.

Is there an updated list somewhere of skills that are NOT on the GCD? I’m specifically looking for Havoc Demon Hunter skills.

Hi Lutech,
Thank you for getting back so fast and letting me know, so ones with gcd not good but ones not on a gcd would be good to go or ones that have stacks are good was watching earlier had a lot good info. have a great day!

1 Like

there are non for the dh:

1 Like

The article’s title is a little misleading, it meant from patch to patch what changed.

Demon Hunters that I know of still have Infernal Strike as you can see on the image/link below:

1 Like

Right, is there a “comprehensive” list of abilities that are OFF The GCD? Just a general list.
Or do you have to go to wowhead and open every spell that you might be wondering about?

@lutechi
I am trying to find a work around for an ability that has a cast time, until an event occurs, then loses it’s cast time but still remains on the GCD.
Demonbolt

Now @Izzi has a macro that is trying to use /stopcasting and /click pause within the sequence area to inturrupt Demonbolt anytime it “has” a cast time, and to fire it off when it doesn’t.
He’s using
/click pause 1.4
/cast [nochanneling, exists] Demonbolt
/click pause 0.05
/stopcasting

Izzerri Demonology 1-16-2021

To my question:
In order to make it work for everyone, the intervals need to be adjusted for every person, which is a pain.
Is there a way to insert a working /stopcasting into your /click pause secondary macro that you then import into your main macro?
Something like:
/click pause 12 (This is to wait for the first set of dreadstalkers to despawn giving us our first instant cast Demonbolt)
/stopcasting
/cast Demonbolt

Hello Tamorand,

Unfortunately I have not found a list for all Off GCDs, but if anyone does please let us know.

The Demonbolt behavior is probably like any instant spell that still remains with a GCD, don’t think can do much about it.

I have not found a good way yet, myself. And yeah adjusting timers is a pain, but unless I set spell to default spell cast time of spell before demon bolt it will clip the spell trying to go off. since haste changes the timers and every player has different haste, to make it work the best you have to adjust the timers based on your haste levels.

Is there a way to reset the /click on target and on combat? I’m working on a Guardian macro and I’d love to be able to only apply Moonfire when it’s about to wear off instead of spamming it constantly on a loop.

Currently I have tried creating a macro with a cast sequence in it that I tried reset=target and that didn’t work with the /click pause 14 command. I tried putting a modifier in the /click command like /click [reset=target] !MOONFIRE and that wouldn’t even fire off the macro.

Not quite sure but i would check that first.

I tried that and it worked for one round then stopped and wouldn’t put up moonfire at all anymore.

can you send your macros to me or put the, here?

Hello @Zeebs

Maybe reset=target/combat is what you are seeking.

Never worked as intented for myself, so my self i click out of target and Re-target again to work.

Cheers.

My Keypress:

/targetenemy [noharm]
/startattack [nocombat]
/cast [noform:1] Bear Form; [mod:alt] Frenzied Regeneration; [mod:shift] Incarnation: Guardian of Ursoc; [mod:ctrl] Survival Instincts
/click !MOONFIRE

My Sequence in the macro being called:

/castsequence [nochanneling,exists] reset=target Moonfire
/click pause 14

I’ve also tried the same Keypress but with the following:

/click [reset=target] !MOONFIRE

None of these seem to work.

I didn’t find a list, but I did find a useful site for determining which abilities are and which are not. WowDB lists each ability and includes the cooldown catagory:

https://www.wowdb.com/spells/class-abilities/demon-hunter/specialization/havoc

For example ‘Eye Beam’ in patch 9.0.1 did not have a GCD:
https://www.wowdb.com/spells/343311-eye-beam

What I was able to do for Havoc DH was go through all of the abilities and list which ones had GCD and which didn’t.

If you bring your spell book up and cast a spell you will see other spells that are on the GCD as they will have a swipe effect showing they cannot be cast for approx 1.5s, those that dont have a swipe are off the GCD. So for instance on my VDH I can see that Disrupt, Glide, Torment, Demon Spikes, and Infernal Strike are all off the GCD, the rest are on it.