Good day everybody.
A little introduction, I used to create a ton of macros for multiple classes including Shammies and Hunters, as well as other classes.
Since GSE 3 has come out, and I have spoken about this prior, GSE 3 is not easy software, and really does cause a more challenging time to develop macros. We don’t need to be programmers to use or make macros, yet currently, this is the state of the program.
To speak of some issues, it is recommended that the MS polling rate of GSE 3 is set to 250ms. While this might be true if you’re using software-based key software like AutoHotKey, if you are using hardware-based like Razer, Logitech, or Corsair that declaration is thrown out the window.
I run Corsairs iCUE software, and I ran a test in-game on how it takes me to push and release a button in WoW, on average and I’m sure most users like this are doing about 100 ms with the GCD taken into effect. So if you’re using AutoHotKey you might need to increase it to 250, but if you’re using dedicated hardware, 100 ms seems to be fine. Due to this change on a dummy on my BM Hunter, my DPS with @Elfyau macro went from 6k DPS to 9k DPS. This is a fundamental increase of 33% performance by lowering the MS and using the hardware MS that was used prior.
I looked into this deeper, and the GCD is actually 1.5 seconds for casters and 1 second for melee. BM Hunters fall into the group of melee (instant cast) while Marksman Hunters are in the casters category at 1.5 seconds.
Now for the other issue, memory leaks. This could be because the program/addon doesn’t comply correctly, but there are memory leaks that can be seen in the case of loading. If you do a base install, the program takes longer to load, and also pops up certain Blizzard windows including the Achievements pane. This also takes longer to register the polling data on unit frames including health. In GSE 2, this was never the case, but with GSE 3 it seems to happen. I ran a test on my other system with GSE 3 and GSE 2 (old download) and I noticed this issue happening more frequently with GSE 3. I then unloaded GSE 3 on my main computer and noticed a performance gain, not just with opening windows, or panes but also with polling data.
As for me, my strategy is when I heal now, I’ll need to disable GSE 3 since I used click-casting.
To note, this has also been shown to be an issue with other addons like Vuhdo, and TL;DR Missions as well. It seems like the code isn’t working properly, in the fact of TL;DR Missions, there is malicious code injected which does cause a potential virus. If you are running Windows Defender it won’t catch it, but others will.
I don’t feel that GSE 3 is running any malicious code, but there is a reason for the memory leaks, and other add-ons are starting to show this too.