PrePatch Macro Testing and Opinion!!

I normally don’t do this, but decided to do it anyway for research purposes. While making my own macro, I noticed that after spending hours sometimes days testing it, that while getting very good test data I would also get a lot of bad test data. Those that are making Hunter Macros, probably know what I’m talking about.

So what did I do, you ask? Well, I took almost everyone’s macro that was posted for prepatch (BM Hunter Macros) and tested them. This wasn’t done to see if theirs were better than mine or to troll someones macro. This was to see if they were also getting inconsistent data like I was with my macro. Granted we all want to have more good numbers than bad numbers.

In my unprofessional opinion all the macros I tested were actually pretty good macros. All of them including mine all ran close to the same dps give or take 100. To me there was not one macro that stood out above all the rest, to include mine.

What I am gathering is that while one person tests a macro and another persons tests that same macro, they both will come out with different results. It is important for those that are looking for a good macro to take in account that one size does not fit all. There are to many variables that might cloud your judgement about a certain macro. Several variables are as follows:
World MS
Home MS
New GCD system
Gear used (ILvl)
Legendaries Used
Talents Used

What is a good macro? I would like to think that the macro makers agree with me when I say this, a good macro is one that gets you 90-95% of your sims dps. (that’s doing a full test 5min fights atleast 10 times).

Why did I write this post? Well, I wanted those that didn’t know, that don’t be quick to judge a macro because your initial testing probably done this way, 3min fight one time on a target dummy, is not going to give you accurate readings about ones macro. All of them are actually very viable at this time. Also, everyone is so use to seeing large numbers in the millions and didn’t notice small changes/ loss or gain in dps during legion. Now that numbers are very small, those small changes are now more noticeable.

In closing, I’m sure all the macro makers will continue to provide great macros and hopefully after BFA launches, Blizz will have all the glitches fixed and our macros will run a lot better. I hope this has shed some light on the novice users of GSE and show what time and effort and sometimes obstacles us macro makers have to go thru.

hello a question, I often do simulationcraf to see talents gear stat etc, how do we do or test macros to see the precision value via addon and on the raidbot site? What is the voice to read to see the real effect?

hello a question, I often do simulationcraf to see talents gear stat etc, how do we do or test macros to see the precision value via addon and on the raidbot site? What is the voice to read to see the real effect?

I use Weakauras to show me what was casted and how many stacks and timers etc. I already know what should be happening in my macro. I can watch to see what spells are skipped and when they are skipped.

Simming of your character is good because it will give you your baseline DPS. With that you can take a macro and see how close it gets you to your Simmed DPS. In my opinion any macro that can get you 90%+ of your simmed DPS is an outstanding macro. The value of raidbots gives us a DPS number to strive for and attempt to reach. Now keep in mind a macro will never give you 100% of your simmed DPS. There are to many limitations and we are not going to violate the TOS that Blizz has in place. Far as addon’s goes any that have scrolling combat text and things of that nature will also give you a visual of what the macro is actually doing. Hope this answers your question.

ok place my sim dps i say this looks

https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/apJkK75xPXZQTo3S2g1Ldx/simc

ok I guess I did not understand, my question is:
how do you simm the dps and see the macro how is it?

ok I guess I did not understand, my question is: how do you simm the dps and see the macro how is it?

Not sure I understand the question. But, you can not combine a macro with raidbots to see how the macro actually works in combat. Raidbots takes what gear, stats, etc of what you have and runs its own simulation of a fight. The closest you can get to get actual true data on how well the macro did during a fight is to have your fight logged (in a raid group/ not a target dummy) and go check your parses. I’m not an expert on parses/ logging so I can’t give you guidance on that, even though I am attempting to learn that now. Hope this helps.

ok I understood now I can understand the macro at what value is closer to the mi osim dps and I must say that testing my personal macro created I go a good 95% up how I would say that sim is great for me

Also never test your macros in Stormwind.
There are critters all over and they will almost always give you false results.

Order Hall Targets will yield more accurate data but i sometimes prefer a quiet place with the [Turnip Punching Bag] Toy as this is always a ?? level.

AskMrRobot will also push for best possible stats based on your spec using this addon/site to see what gear and legos you have is worth trying. Additionally using the site to try different lego combos can sometimes give you better results then you expected.