Here’s the patch notes in question. I’m nervous that as a consequence of breaking the macro-scripts that were plaguing PVP, that blizzard might have also broken GSE.
Does this also mean that [group][nogroup][raid] etc no longer do anything?
- Macros can no longer conditionally execute commands based on your party state.
- Macros can no longer change equipment using /script, /run, or the Lua API. Equipment can still be changed using regular macro commands such as /equip.
- Technical notes:
- UI Macros have been restricted in a few ways. The general issue was there were several exploits to conditionally execute macro commands. These exploits tended to use un-restricted Lua API functions that happened to mutate states that various macro options/conditionals queried, or selectively register the globally available MacroEditBox for the event that would run commands
- To address the state mutation, two methods were employed:
- Converting APIs like PickupInventoryItem to be restricted when trying to change gear during combat.
- Caching the state queried by the macro conditional when combat starts so that the state remains invariant while combat is in progress. Macro options that check party membership and composition uses the cached state approach.
- To address selective event registration the MacroEditBox was removed from the global namespace and the event was replaced with a callback.