Working Survival 6.0.3 GS Awesomeness!

Toxic? The feedback is 100% valid. The macros in this thread are not based on the actual real-world optimal rotation for SV hunters. I provided specific changes.

You provided “specific” changes? I see no examples of these recommended changes. Can you please share your macros for the benefit of everyone else?

Sure jackass;

Sequences['SVS'] = { 
PreMacro = [[
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
]],
	'/cast !Black Arrow',	
	'/cast !Black Arrow',
	'/cast A Murder of Crows',
	'/cast Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast Arcane Shot',
	'/cast Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Explosive Shot',
	'/cast [nochanneling] Cobra Shot',
	'/cast [nochanneling] !Cobra Shot',
	'/cast !Black Arrow',
        '/cast !Black Arrow',	
	'/cast A Murder of Crows',
	'/cast Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Explosive Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast [nochanneling] Cobra Shot',
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
/use [combat]13
/use [combat]14
/cast !Black Arrow
]],
}

In addition; Logs for the above;

I miss 1.9-2.1%, so the macro can be slightly tweaked. Spammed at 14ms.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-8ztww67o5w5r8ijz/details/5/

dear sir …talent and glyph so u please ?

ilvl; 652

Talents; 3123113

Glyphs; Deterrence, Liberation, Pathfinding (you can use Animal Bond if you want a pet to solo with.)

Adjust your Custom Lag Tolerance as needed. Mine is set to 30ms as my ping is rarely over 24-26. This combats queuing the wrong abilities too soon.

Spammed at 14ms with a mouse macro, but AHK will work too.

The macro can be improved, as it’s missing a tiny amount of BA and SS time on target. I’m logging fights more frequently and using that as a basis. Everyone is going to be slightly different, but the gist is to duplicate lines of items you are missing from logs. This gives the global queue more time to “stick” with these weighted casts.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion Mufti.

I have modified my current macros as follows. Let me know where you think it breaks down. I tried your macro out but based on personal use/play style I am getting more DPS out of my current macro. If you get a chance, give it a spin and let me know what you think can be done to improve it.

My talent setup is: 3121132

I manually control when I fire Barrage and the “nochanneling” argument enables me to go back to spamming the macro without interrupting the Barrage cast. You will also notice that I have a line in the macro for Glaive Toss. This is for those single target fights when I spec out of Barrage. Currently only do this for the Butcher fight.

Sequences['SurvST'] = {
StepFunction = [[
	limit = limit or 1
	if step == limit then
		limit = limit % #macros + 1
		step = 1
	else
		step = step % #macros + 1
	end
]],
PreMacro = [[
/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
]],
	'/cast [nochanneling] !Black Arrow',
	'/cast [nochanneling] Arcane Shot',
	'/castsequence [nochanneling] reset=target Explosive Shot, Focusing Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast [nochanneling] A Murder of Crows',
	'/cast [nochanneling] !Explosive Shot',
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
/petattack
/use [combat]13
/use [combat]14
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1
]],
}
Sequences['SurvMT'] = {
StepFunction = [[
	limit = limit or 1
	if step == limit then
		step = 1
	else
	end
]],
PreMacro = [[
]],
	'/cast [nochanneling] Multi-Shot',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast [nochanneling] !Multi-Shot',
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
/petattack
/use [combat]13
/use [combat]14
]],
}

Raiding Training Dummy in Org, /w no cleave. 14ms spam, single target. ilvl 654. ~4mil Damage Done each run.

Mine: LW w/ MS buff, GT, Flasked, no Food;

1. 18612 (20k burst peak)
  2. 19300 (25k burst peak)
  3. 18321 (22k burst peak)
  4. 18634 (22k burst peak)

Notes; twice per run on average I was focus starved for BA. Manually cast Cobra, or waited 1sec for macro cast. No missed ES, 2-3 seconds tops missed BA dot. Refreshes SS a bit too fast.

Yours: FS, no buffs, Barrage, Flasked, no Food;

1. 16891 (18k peak burst)
  2. 17232 (18k peak burst)
  3. 15750 (17k peak burst)
  4. 16273 (17k peak burst)

Notes; Barrage should be fired on CD, and in any fight with 2+ mobs pulls ahead of GT, that is likely why you feel it does more DPS. Focusing Shot is always a DPS loss on movement heavy fights. Using Steady Focus is a DPS loss over ToTH, and I’m not even sure why Steady Focus procs when your macro only casts Focusing Shot once. I was focus starved for 20-30% of the fight and had to stop spamming the macro after Focusing to have enough for BA and Barrage. Several missed ES and BA. Barrage is too high of a focus cost to manage with this macro.

So, LW MS buff doesn’t account for that big of a spread between the macros. You say “your play style”, but that to me simply means your numbers are higher because you use barrage. FS defeats the entire purpose of SV in a raid group anyway.

Mufti,

When you were testing my macro did you have your pet out?

When you tested your macro you indicated that you ran LW with the multistrike buff.

When you ran my macro you indicated no buff which leads me to believe you ran the test without a pet. To get the equivalent buff from a pet you would need to run the test with a bat. Remember that without LW, your pet is a part of your overall DPS.

I am going to run both tests again on the raid dummy in SW. I will run the test without barrage and use glaive toss to get as close to an apples to apples comparison.

[quote quote=21128]Mufti,

When you were testing my macro did you have your pet out?

When you tested your macro you indicated that you ran LW with the multistrike buff.

When you ran my macro you indicated no buff which leads me to believe you ran the test without a pet. To get the equivalent buff from a pet you would need to run the test with a bat. Remember that without LW, your pet is a part of your overall DPS.

I am going to run both tests again on the raid dummy in SW. I will run the test without barrage and use glaive toss to get as close to an apples to apples comparison.
[/quote]

I grabbed a bat, as I was using a raptor, and the average of 4 runs was 17900-ish. I still see slightly higher numbers from my macro, and the added benefit of full movement. The priority is a bit off on your explosive shots, as they don’t take precedence on proc.

Changes;

Remove the ! from ES. Blizz fixed the clipping issues on the back end to not cut the dot short. It can be spammed in other words, and results in higher dps. Up to 1k extra in my tests.

BA is not being cast on CD and is often due to focus starvation. Swapping to GT and ToTH helped.

I’m up to 19250-ish average of 4 runs with this, but focused starved around 2mil. I manually throw in an extra Focusing Shot to make up for it;

Sequences['SurvST'] = {
StepFunction = [[
	limit = limit or 1
	if step == limit then
		step = 1
	else
	end
]],
PreMacro = [[
]],
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/cast [nochanneling] Explosive Shot',
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
/petattack
/use [combat]13
/use [combat]14
/cast [nochanneling] !Black Arrow
]],
}

Still playing with it. Focusing shot is bad imo, but the only safe way in a macro to have enough focus for BA casts. You could split it into 2 macros, one for burn, one for “generate focus 4-5 seconds before BA, then spam BA”. But that’s min/max at this point.

Uh I also just realized the dummies in Org… don’t benefit from the Dreanor perks…

Thanks Mufti.

Messing with something that has potential.

Instead of casting BA alone, I’m (trying) setting up multiple cast sequences that cast CS ( or FS ) always before a BA for an extra boost.

Something like this in a few spots;

'/castsequence [nochanneling] reset=2 Cobra Shot, !Black Arrow',

Taking CS/FS out of individual casts. Should give a tiny boost to BA uptime. Still messing around. It’s not working as expected and the reset never occurs because of how fast the spamming is.

Edit;

'/castsequence [nochanneling] reset=26 Cobra Shot, !Black Arrow',

Works well for the concept of more BA uptime but the more I run this… the more BA time up… the more DPS loss. I’m not sure what’s going on at this point. The class or at least the concept of BA uptime and ES spam is broken.

I have been doing something similar just by adding and additional FS.

'/cast [nochanneling] Focusing Shot',

The challenge/problem that I notice is that I appear to be getting too many FS as the second FS becomes a part of the priority. I think you might be heading down the right path. Like you, I notice BA sometimes getting delayed due to a lack of Focus.

I have changed the macro to the following. Focus regeneration seems to have smoothed out and BA seems to get back up on the target quicker. I will run some more tests and actually log results. My intent us to use Arcane Shot as a focus dump for excess focus. Need to see how this affects my ability to use Barrage as well.

The intent is to fire a FS every other pass through the macro.

Sequences['SurvST'] = {
StepFunction = [[
	limit = limit or 1
	if step == limit then
		step = 1
	else
	end
]],
PreMacro = [[
]],
	'/cast [nochanneling] Black Arrow',
	'/cast Glaive Toss',
	'/castsequence [nochanneling] reset=target Focusing Shot, Arcane Shot', 
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
/petattack
/use [combat]13
/use [combat]14
]],
}

I love the talk back and forth and this thread has had me testing so many different things but I was wondering if we could split this thread into ones using CS/Lone Wolf and one using FS. FS has no logical spot in any raid unless it’s on a target dummy and if I just swap CS in the macros it won’t line up quite like you have it planned out… would absolutely love testing a list macro and will run 3-10 min simulations for you all day long if we are focusing on raid viable macros. I use the one button as filler while i move a lot or am constantly swapping targets otherwise i manually hit es/as to use all procs faster

Edit: also I use barrage as a back-up for aoe situations because I feel like Glaives is a dps loss in just about every fight i have done in Heroic HM… not sure if it is because it doesn’t hit or AS spam just gets more lock/n/load procs with ToTH? anyone know

I appreciate your opinion but contrary to popular belief there is plenty of time in a raid to stand still and fire FS. Hunters are not jack rabbits. If you are moving so much that you can not get a FS in, you are doing something wrong.

Think about it. As a MM hunter you had to stand still for 6 seconds to get Sniper up and running. FS is just a 3 second cast time.

Additionally, how do you think other classes manage to perform? They do not have the hunter DPS on the move advantage but they still manage to perform as well as hunters in a raid.

I have dropped Steady Focus for Thrill of the Hunt.

My current talent setup is: 3123132

Again I don’t mind your opinion and love the macro work but going from live experience and every respectable SIM/guide LW>Ammmo>FS past 630ilvl… Your Macro has a place in dungeons/leveling but with better gear and raiding it is sub-par taking a weaker talent. And when I was MM the thing I hated most was having to readjust for a boss mechanic after you already moved and the downtime on sniper training never wasting a GCD because I have to move or clip a shot is one of the beautiful things about Survival and I want that to reflect in my macro. Keep making yours better I was just asking for someone who is better at making these then I am to start a thread with LW as the main talent.

Have you been keeping up with the relevant theory crafting threads maintained by Azortharian:

[7.3] Azortharion's Hunter Guides

and Effinhunter:

http://forums.elitistjerks.com/topic/132926-wod-survival-60

Both show that Focusing Shot > Lone Wolf > Exotic. Movement heavy fights (Tectus) could have LW or Exotic pull ahead. These are not “my opinions” but recommendations based upon a ton of sims done by both Azortharion and Effinhunter.

I appreciate your play style but there is a price to pay for that mobility and that price comes at the expense of DPS. Not huge, vast amounts of loss but loss none the less.

I also want to note that I run the 4 piece 660 pvp set with 50 focus from ice trap and Bonus fire dmg. I have all heroic gear but have seen a significant Damage increase running the 4 piece (use crafted 3/3 mail helm as off piece). So when I am fighting I throw out ice trap when i need for lots of focus (or if in melee range i just drop it at my feet). I guess that may skew my more then avg focus and not needing FS because I can spam AS/ES and get constant procs to spam more. I am currently 667ilvl and pull 25-26k on heroic butcher as my base so i look at that