WW GS-E Macro Tweaking

Hey Everyone,

Thanks to WLM I have been enjoying playing a lot more than I have in a long time. I like being able to focus on other aspects of combat like cooldowns and boss stuff and what not without having to also tinker around with rotation.

I’ve focused heavily on my monk this xpac, doing Mythic+ and Raiding. I’m trying to take the macro stuff that has been provided and make it the best it can be. There are 2 macros that are VERY good. One is provided by Ðarkramz and the other by Verkmiester.

The biggest DPS loss for a Monk in my experience is clipping Fist of Fury and / or not prioritizing it, like skipping it to waste chi on Blackout Kick and dropping HitCombo a lot. I’ll share my experience / findings with you all and hopefully we can collaborate something that is even better.

In my experience using the 2 macros, Ðarkramz drops HitCombo often and is a DPS loss regardless of talent choice compared to the tweaked one I’ve been using of the Verkmiester macro.

First my test stats. iLevel 849 | 31% Crit, 36% Mastery, 9% Haste, 5% Versatility. Artifact Weapon iLevel 877. My artifact Path thus far: Artifact Path. (I have +1 to Fists of Fury Relic and +2 to Rising Sun Kick Relic. My DPS was higher with +2 Fists of Fury, so if you can get 3 relics with + Fists of Fury, getting up to 30% damage bonus, that would be ideal).

In my tests I am not using Storm, Earth, Fire / Serenity or Touch of Death. Just letting the macro run it’s course. I’ve modified the Verkmiester macro a bit because it didn’t have the Artifact Weapon. Here is the latest version I’ve been running which has Whirling Dragon Punch removed. Serenity seems to be the BEST talent for raiding. For Mythic+ where trash aoe is far more important WDP is the better talent which I’ll include that version.

You’ll see I don’t run Energizing Elixir. If you can time the use of this properly, it is a DPS boost but only a small one, so I run with Power Strikes instead because my macro is on a toggle with my logitech keyboard for spam.

You might also notice how one macro has nochanneling in the Fist of Fury section and one does not. This is for testing and I haven’t noticed one or the other preventing the occasional clipping of the channel. It just seems to happen some time where I’m now trying to manually toggle it off and take more control.

Pros / Cons
Pros

• Strongest performing Macro at 75ms spam delay (on 60ms Server Latency)
  • Keeps HitCombo uptime near 100%
    Cons
  • Clips Fists of Fury on occasion interupting channel
  • Skips Fist of Fury on occasion to waste chi on Blackout kick

Single Target without WDP
No cleave damage at all in tests - Using this without Touch of Death or Serenity I’m 200k to 220k for a long fight 2+ minutes.
With Touch of Death and Serenity i’ve got an opening burst on Single Target for 600k and sustaining in the 240k - 260k depending on crit streaks for 2+ minutes.

Sequences['STWind'] = {
specID = 269,
author = "Verkmiester",
helpTxt = "Talents: 3, 1/2/3, 1/3, 3, 1, 3, 3",
StepFunction = GSStaticPriority,
PreMacro = [[
/targetenemy [noharm,dead]
]],
	'/castsequence [combat,nochanneling] !Fists of Fury',
	'/castsequence [nochanneling] Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick',
	'/cast [nochanneling] Strike of the Windlord',
	'/cast [nochanneling] Rising Sun Kick',
	'/castsequence [nochanneling] Tiger Palm, Chi Wave, Blackout Kick',
	'/cast [nochanneling] Tiger Palm',
	'/castsequence [combat,nochanneling] !Fists of Fury',
	'/castsequence [nochanneling] Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick, Chi Wave',
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
]],
}

Single Target with WDP
No cleave damage at all in tests - Using this without Touch of Death or Storm, Earth & Fire I’m 200k to 210k for a long fight 2+ minutes.
With Touch of Death and S,E&F I’ve got an opening burst on Single Target for 400k and sustaining in the 220k - 240k depending on crit streaks for 2+ minutes.

Sequences['STWindWDP'] = {
specID = 269,
author = "Verkmiester",
helpTxt = "Talents: 3, 1/2/3, 1/3, 3, 1, 3, 2",
PreMacro = [[
]],
	'/castsequence [combat] !Fists of Fury',
	'/castsequence [nochanneling] Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick',
	'/cast [nochanneling] Rising Sun Kick',
	'/castsequence [nochanneling] Tiger Palm, Whirling Dragon Punch, Chi Wave, Blackout Kick',
	'/castsequence [nochanneling] Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick, Whirling Dragon Punch, Chi Wave',
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
]],
}

I’m just hoping collaboratively we can maybe knock this up another level. It could be my toggle spam speed that causes it to skip Fist of Fury more than I’d like and maybe even be the cause of the clipping. I’ve tried it at various speeds 75ms to 100ms I don’t notice much difference and higher than 100ms I notice a DPS loss.

Again I want to say MEGA thanks to Verkmiester, it is essentially his macro with me just tweaking it for Artifact Power and some oddities here and there.

I love your macros! thank you

Hi could you tell me the DPS rotation you do combined with this macro?

Any idea how to get spinning Crane kick into this as an AOE alternative?

If I’m using Serenity I manually open with Serenity+Touch of Death > Fist of Fury > Rising Sun Kick > Strike the Windlord then I toggle the macro on. This opening lets me get a second Rising Sun Kick in before Serenity Drops off generally.

With Whirling Dragon Punch my opening is Touch of Death > Storm Earth & Fire > Toggle Macro and make sure I manually cancel to get Fist of Fury off asap and toggle again on / off to get Strike of the Windlord off. As I said, the macro toggle spam can sometimes skip these spells in favor of a Blackout Kick.

(If there is a Pull timer I will Chi Wave > Flying Dragon Kick to get a few pre-fight stacks of HitCombo)

As for Spinning Crane Kick, I’ve noticed its a dps loss without Storm Earth and Fire adding the Buff / Debuff on multiple targets. And since it costs a million chi, it doesn’t compare to the dps of Fist of Fury + Whirling Dragon Punch without a lot of the debuff / buff on.

The AOE Macro base Verkmiester provided I have tweaked to include Strike the Windlord, but as I said I haven’t used it enough to really test how to get the most of it, but I’ll post my edited version here.

Sequences['AOEWind'] = {
specID = 269,
author = "Verkmiester",
helpTxt = "Talents: 3, 3, 3, 3, 1, 3, 2",
PreMacro = [[
]],
	'/castsequence [nochanneling] Tiger Palm, Rising Sun Kick, Blackout Kick',
	'/castsequence [nochanneling] Tiger Palm, Whirling Dragon Punch, Chi Wave, Spinning Crane Kick',
	'/castsequence [nochanneling] Tiger Palm, Whirling Dragon Punch, Chi Wave',
PostMacro = [[
/startattack
]],
}

Thank you for sharing Jesus & Verkmiester :slight_smile: I will try these macros tonight on NHC raid.

From Babylonius, Monk Guide Writer on Icy Veins:

Your default choice should be Whirling Dragon Punch, which is best in all situations. Chi Orbit is not good enough to be worth considering, while Serenity can work in AoE situations where Spinning Crane Kick is used extensively (though we still recommend Whirling Dragon Punch). Keep in mind that playing Serenity optimally can be difficult, and failing to do so will result in a DPS loss.

I’ve tried both the Serenity and WDP macros and WDP gives me the best DPS in Mythic+ and Raids.

I’ve tried both in Mythic+ and Raids. Serenity gives me better DPS by quite a noticeable margin. This is likely due to the fact that I completely control the Serenity pop and the following spells instead of the macro toggle. However, it may also be a secondary stat threshold.

WDP should be very good for AoE situations with trash in Mythic+ however, I’ve not found where there really is enough mobs with the debuff for Spinning Crane Kick to win, though there may be situations where this does happen it’s not been the case for me save for very few pulls in very few dungeons (Halls of Valor , Black Rook Hold). Although the low cooldown of Serenity and it’s massive burst makes those AoE pulls easy with the full combo.

But to each their own, both types are provided and you’ll have to test for yourselves what works best in your situations.

Ah, yes, you control Serenity manually is probably why your DPS is higher then.
Thanks so much for posting these and testing them out!

[quote quote=34636]

I’ve tried both the Serenity and WDP macros and WDP gives me the best DPS in Mythic+ and Raids.

I’ve tried both in Mythic+ and Raids. Serenity gives me better DPS by quite a noticeable margin. This is likely due to the fact that I completely control the Serenity pop and the following spells instead of the macro toggle. However, it may also be a secondary stat threshold. WDP should be very good for AoE situations with trash in Mythic+ however, I’ve not found where there really is enough mobs with the debuff for Spinning Crane Kick to win, though there may be situations where this does happen it’s not been the case for me save for very few pulls in very few dungeons (Halls of Valor , Black Rook Hold). Although the low cooldown of Serenity and it’s massive burst makes those AoE pulls easy with the full combo. But to each their own, both types are provided and you’ll have to test for yourselves what works best in your situations. [/quote]

I don’t know if I would call this macro High Performance. But if you toggle it off or stop spam so you can make sure you prioritize Fists of Fury and Strike of the Windlord. You can do very good in raids.

I’m in a guild with a bunch of casual (mostly bad players) and according to Warcraftlogs using this macro (but manually turning it on / off to make sure FoF gets priority) I’m in the 75+ percentile for most fights.

Raid Fight

Full Size Picture
Raid Fight
Full Size Picture
Raid Fight
Full Size Picture

Using Serenity my DPS and Performance goes up quite a bit because I get more control of my big attacks. Though when using pretty much the macro on toggle spam with Whirling Dragon Punch I’m still in the 65+ percentile which is pretty good for Normals and if you don’t have to carry, probably would be acceptable for Heroic.

Excuse me for beeing off-topic - could anyone tell me the position of a single target dummy please (a map screenshot would be great) ? The dummy at the class hall are to close together.

[quote quote=34844]Excuse me for beeing off-topic – could anyone tell me the position of a single target dummy please (a map screenshot would be great) ? The dummy at the class hall are to close together.
[/quote]

Maybe try your WoD Garrison?

In order to get Single Target I went to the raid dummy in Stormwind as the one’s at the class hall seem bugged, there are two bags floating together. If the class hall bags are fixed you can position yourself carefully and just hit the one.

Update on Serenity Opening

• Based on Icy-Veins you should Fist of Fury BEFORE popping Serenity. Icy-Veins implies that you should time Fists of Fury to be off cooldown before Serenity buff drops off, this can be difficult to achieve without something like WeakAuras. You also don’t want Strike of the Windlord on CD while Serenity is UP. Getting Fists of Fury on CD before Serenity in the right time to be available for Serenity and also NOT have Strike of the Windlord go off before Serenity can be near impossible to achieve with the macro.

For the greatest opening burst with the macro in mind, I have found Serenity + Touch of Death (in a Macro together) and manually hit FoF > Rising Sun Kick > Strike of the Windlord > Macro Toggle On for a second or two then off > Rising Sun Kick > Toggle Macro on as Serenity Buff dies and continue the fight like so until Serenity comes off CD again.

I’ve been using your macro with WDP for about 2 weeks now and i have cleared hc emerald 2 times ending up between 240-270k dps depending on boss (860 ilvl). I would love to try serenity out aswell to reach 300k but need to learn more about that rotation before i go raidmode with it. Just wanted to say thank you for an awesome macro!

[quote quote=34885]In order to get Single Target I went to the raid dummy in Stormwind as the one’s at the class hall seem bugged, there are two bags floating together. If the class hall bags are fixed you can position yourself carefully and just hit the one.
[/quote] Thank you Jesus :slight_smile:

Hey Jesus,

I tried out your macro and I’m seeing that a lot of the skills that should be having high priority aren’t getting activated prior to the other skills. Like, FOF i see on cooldown quite a lot.

Also I’ve noticed through the meters that the dps isn’t sustained, but very slowly decreases. At times combo breaks as well.

Just wondering if there’s something I’m missing?

THanks

[quote quote=34887]Update on Serenity Opening – Based on Icy-Veins you should Fist of Fury BEFORE popping Serenity. Icy-Veins implies that you should time Fists of Fury to be off cooldown before Serenity buff drops off, this can be difficult to achieve without something like WeakAuras. You also don’t want Strike of the Windlord on CD while Serenity is UP. Getting Fists of Fury on CD before Serenity in the right time to be available for Serenity and also NOT have Strike of the Windlord go off before Serenity can be near impossible to achieve with the macro.
For the greatest opening burst with the macro in mind, I have found Serenity + Touch of Death (in a Macro together) and manually hit FoF > Rising Sun Kick > Strike of the Windlord > Macro Toggle On for a second or two then off > Rising Sun Kick > Toggle Macro on as Serenity Buff dies and continue the fight like so until Serenity comes off CD again.
[/quote]
Wouldnt it be possible to just use 2 macros one for opening and one for when serenity is on CD. Pretty sure you can put those 4 items in a macro to open with then just got right to the macro.

[quote quote=35042]Hey Jesus,
I tried out your macro and I’m seeing that a lot of the skills that should be having high priority aren’t getting activated prior to the other skills. Like, FOF i see on cooldown quite a lot.
Also I’ve noticed through the meters that the dps isn’t sustained, but very slowly decreases. At times combo breaks as well.
Just wondering if there’s something I’m missing?
THanks
[/quote]

It really depends on what your latency and your toggle spam is set at, these factor into the frequency with which skills are passed. Using GS-E you can set to debug to see when a skill gets passed over.

For me, my latency is in the 50s to 70s so I set it on the higher end at 75ms delay spam and I rarely every drop hit combo. Looking at http://checkmywow.com I’ve got 85% and higher Hit Combo uptime. It could be higher if I manually did it (perhaps), but there are fights where its going to drop anyway because of movement / inactivity. Also checkmywow shows only 4 / 5 double casts that would break Hit Combo so I’ve found it keeps this up very well. But again for my experience and my latency those settings work.

As for Skipping over FoF, I haven’t figured out a solution that is good for this which is why I turn it on / off and manually activate Fists of Fury myself. At 855 iLevel with a lot of unlucky Crit/Haste gear instead of Mastery/Haste I sustain 250k - 270k in raids and 270k - 300k in Mythic+.

Is this worth using for leveling as well from 100-110 ?