(7.2.0) Prot Paladin, GSE2 (15th May 2017)

[quote quote=48299]Reset=time works perfectly. The mosconception is that reset=time is not reset after time. It’s not reset after 5 seconds for example.
In all wow macros reset=time means to reset after not pressing the button for time. Reset=5 means to reset if I don’t try to use the macro for 5 seconds. With GSE as you are spamming the button this is rarely achieved.
The behaviour of reset=time is not unique to GSE it’s how it behaves for all macros.
[/quote]

Hi Timothy if that’s the case then yes it’s a misconception on my behalf. Thanks for clearing that one up!

I’ll elaborate on this a bit more: The reset is more if the cast sequence hasnt progressed in the time. Castsequence is the only way of determining a success clause of being able to cast a spell. It will only move to the next spell if the one before it cast. Castsequences can get stuck if they have a talent in them and you remove the talent or you have a spender at the end and you haven’t generated enough of a resource like Holy Power.

A normal macro in WoW that uses reset=time looks and works like this:

/castsequence reset=12 Rebuke, Arcane Torrent

I play a Blood Elf Paladin and I have this macro bound to my R key. Its not a GSE macro just a normal one. Rebuke has a 12 second cooldown, Arcane Torrent a 2 min one. The way it works is that first interrupt Rebuke hits, starting its cooldown. Castsequence progresses to Arcane Torrent. Second Interrupt Arcane Torrent and starts its 2 min cooldown and resets the castsequence to Rebuke. Now one of two things will happen next but eventually the next Rebuke will work and I’ll be on Arcane Torrent. Assuming that the Rebuke occured straight after its cooldown, Arcane Torrent will still have 90 secs left on its cooldown.

The reset=12 comes into play here in that i wont be able to cast Arcane Torrent but Rebuke will come off cooldown and be ready to use. ITs all because I havnt successfully cast Arcane Torrent that the reset=12 comes into effect.

In a GSE Macro castsequence works differently in that you are spamming the button and it doesnt stop on castsequences it moves to the next line and tries to fire that spell. For a reset=time clause to work in a GSE macro, all the lines of the macro have to be on cooldown at the same time and you exceed the time in the clause without being able to use an ability. If any spell in the macro works it restarts the reset=time counter.

[quote quote=48323]In a GSE Macro castsequence works differently in that you are spamming the button and it doesnt stop on castsequences it moves to the next line and tries to fire that spell. For a reset=time clause to work in a GSE macro, all the lines of the macro have to be on cooldown at the same time and you exceed the time in the clause without being able to use an ability. If any spell in the macro works it restarts the reset=time counter.
[/quote]

Personally I think that is the best explanation yet of GSE’s castsequence + reset’s relationship and execution. Thank you!

The macro here is popular and performs very well, but that said I’ll be looking at experimenting with an alternate build to better use resets given your explanation. Thanks again, very much appreciate your input and your work on this amazing addon.

Why do you have this twice? Mr. Luke told me once that it means nothing more then /cast consecration just curious

"/castsequence reset=7 Consecration, Consecration",

[quote quote=48423]Why do you have this twice? Mr. Luke told me once that it means nothing more then /cast consecration just curious
"/castsequence reset=7 Consecration, Consecration",
[/quote]

You may have misunderstood. It is a castsequence, you’re looking at a single line (A) with two spells (A1) and (A2). There are following lines, (B) and © each with spells respectively (B1) and (C1). In the example above the macro will attempt the following: (A1)>(B1), (A2)>(C1).

But why A1, A1 Gary? Specifically, at certain times in my macros, I will want to increase the ‘chance’ a certain ability pops -in this case, Consecration. As these macros are designed to be spammed by your Mouse driver (Logitech etc) or AHK, and not by hand, there is a huge error margin and as a consequence you’ll see me and (I presume) others write in fallbacks like the one above to ‘try’ and make sure a Spell is called. You have to remember these macros are built to be run by themselves and across all different gear and Haste levels; these kinds of hacks are there to try and make sure certain Spells execute for as many users as possible when I want them to.

What I had misunderstood, and what I am grateful for Luke correcting me on, was the “reset=xx” options I have included within the macro’s castsequences. If you give the macro a go you will see it performs an automated rotation pretty well but that the reset=xx options are pretty much redundant because I mistook their operation.

TLDR it’s without context if you don’t look at the following lines of code. :smiley:

Hope that helps!

PS I am working on a Brewmaster macro (one that’s effective enough to get me through the Artifact Challenge, it’s tough!) but I will come back here and update this macro with either removing the reset=xx options where necessary but only after I’ve tested. Just to clarify, the macro is still performing great!

Cheers !

What they are trying to pass on is that

/castsequence Consecration, Consecration

Won’t increase the chance of Consecration firing. It is exactly the same as

/cast Consecration

The next lines have no impact on that line in any way whatsoever.

If your spamming and want to increase the chance that Consecration fires you need to add more /cast Consecration lines in other places in your macro. A /castsequence with the same spell repeated won’t do what you are trying to achieve.

From your example B and C have no ability to influence A and A will fire with the exact same probability every time. To achieve what you are trying to accomplish you need to do something like

/cast a
/cast b
/cast a
/cast c

TLDR castsequences have no ability to achieve what you are trying to achieve with it.

Ok, but I’m leaving the macro as it is. I just finished my Brewmaster challenge and I want to work on the Protection macro more now but it works so well.

I’ll clean the code but only if it doesn’t change the performance because that’s the most important.

Thanks again.

Gary congrats on the Brewmaster challenge. Are you using a macro for that as well? If so would you mind posting it? I have a Brewmaster that is just sitting around waiting on me to play him lol. Im gonna give this Prot macro a spin also. Thanks for your hard work!!!

[quote quote=48534]Gary congrats on the Brewmaster challenge. Are you using a macro for that as well? If so would you mind posting it? I have a Brewmaster that is just sitting around waiting on me to play him lol. Im gonna give this Prot macro a spin also. Thanks for your hard work!!!
[/quote]

Hi!

Yes! I used my own Macro but not quite ready to release -for the challenge I had to keep pausing the macro for interrupts. I have also recently acquired the legendary chest (from a WQ of all sources!) and am currently working on a V2 which supports it. I would like to include a V3 for the Challenge… maybe with modifiers for interrupts but honestly I might post what I have now over at the Brewmaster forums because I think it works better than what’s there. I’ll remember to PM you when I do.

Best of luck with the Prot macro, I think the spec suits the macro very well.

Cheers

Great macro Gary, just a quick question will it change automatically when I enter a dungeon or will I need to change it myself?

Found something odd with the macro when I am on the dummy shield of righteous works in a raid it never fires? ive had to manually fire it any ideas why?

[quote quote=54989]Found something odd with the macro when I am on the dummy shield of righteous works in a raid it never fires? ive had to manually fire it any ideas why?
[/quote]

This is explained in the first post. Just need to read :slight_smile:

thanks yes i realize it after i had posted. was throwing me off when it was working on the training dummy and not in raid lol

Gary, you going to rework this for 8.0?