GSE and BfA

I have been Alpha of BfA for a while but they have only just started to allow Mods to be tested against the new client. I have a mostly working GSE. I’m not ready to release an alpha version yet as there is a lot of things in the underlying libraries that need to be updated for it to work properly.

Things to be aware of:
Trinkets and most offensive cooldowns are now ON the GCD. This means that for a lot of macros there are significant changes to KeyPress and KeyRelease. It looks like its a case of one ability per click where you could do a /target and a /cast but nothing else. This is the big gotcha in that I got a sequence to load and run but it wouldn’t enact any abilities. This was because I had Crusade on KeyPress and it wouldn’t fall through past that part.

The other is that Castsequence seems to have been removed and it now behaves like cast. Ie it will only cast the first spell in the castsequence part and not move on. This so far looks to be a deliberate choice by Blizzard. If this is the case then it will make GSE more needed for macroing than less as it will be the only way to program up a button going forward. This is definately a watch this space thing.

The good news is that the functions that are broken are broken as the underlying Ace3 libraries havn’t been updated yet.

High level things that I will need to think through
All the sample Macros will need to be rewritten and the Tick boxes for things like trinkets etc will need a rework. The tickboxes in the editor were to reduce the boilerplate that was prevalent in the original GS. Im still of the view that “/use 13” is not obvious for trinkets so may include a shorthand of some sort like “/use trinket1” and “/use boots”.

Abilities have also been pruned and changed in BfA. This gives me the thought to look again at the translator, The translator holds a list of every US spell and its local equivalent as even though each spell has an internal spell ID, macros can only use the spell name. This is a significant memory overhead for non enUS clients. If castsequence is indeed gone and with the compact macro format introduced in GSE 2.2.00 I could change the macro storage engine to store macros based on the spell ID and then present this back up to the client after looking up the spell name. This will improve the performance for non US clients and reduce the ram needed. It will also deal with some hunter spells that are not available in GSE due to special characters in the language.

I have been looking into different requested options like talent based macros and level based macros. Im not going to do these as there are other ways of achieving this within the current frameworks. I will be exploring further multiple loop style macros. I had this mostly working from a request from John Mets but it hasnt been ready for release yet. This will probabely be a significant change.

Apart from this it looks to be business as usual.

– TimothyLuke

Thanks for the update Mr. Luke!

I’m presently in the alpha and have been using GSE for a while now (its one of the reasons I still enjoy playing).

If you need a hand testing anything, please let me know and I’ll do what I can. I am not great for creating macros, but I learn quickly and do understand some basics :slight_smile: I can also help test anything that someone else may have done.

That said, without the addon, the macros don’t work so feel free to let me know if I can be of any help!

FIrst Alpha Client is out.

Download Link

As always if you want me to do anything about anything you observe, post it Here on GitHub as an Issue. If instead you just want to talk about it to improve your post count and know that I will do nothing at all to resolve or fix it please fill up the forums or discord with random thoughts about how GSE does or doesnt do something.

When you open this there will be three errors - these are from Ace3 not GSE and As Ace3 is updated these will be resolved. Also there are only SampleMacros for Ret Pallies at this stage - closer to launch there will be more for other classes. No work has been done on optimising the macros either its more a whack a mole approach to use abilities rather than be the fatboss approved icy rotation version of things.

For what i can see ( and testing in BfA ), all the macros will be like the ones made Cymiryc & papapancake’s ( lineal abilities one after another ( bc of everything in GCD )

So im here to help testing in game if needed Timothy

PS: GSE ( old version ) works very nice atm in alpha

[quote quote=58909]For what i can see ( and testing in BfA ), all the macros will be like the ones made Cymiryc & papapancake’s ( lineal abilities one after another ( bc of everything in GCD )
So im here to help testing in game if needed Timothy
PS: GSE ( old version ) works very nice atm in alpha[/quote]

I know right? It’s like a dream come true, but not. It means right now there is little to no optimising. It’s a case of adding in most of the spell book and off you go to make things work.

Even though it’s in a format i prefer, i am not too happy with all the CD/waiting… But it works, for now.

This is why i am trying to tell people if you want to make a macro go and do it, now is the best time to make one as very little formatting required. Something wrong if you say you can’t mash skills together.

Yeah but Cym you don’t need to list the whole phone book :stuck_out_tongue: mine so far have been easy to translate over as I just have to think vertically not horizontally, also slowing the macro speed right down has a noticeable impact I’m talking no faster than 100ms

[quote quote=58911]

For what i can see ( and testing in BfA ), all the macros will be like the ones made Cymiryc & papapancake’s ( lineal abilities one after another ( bc of everything in GCD ) So im here to help testing in game if needed Timothy PS: GSE ( old version ) works very nice atm in alpha

I know right? It’s like a dream come true, but not. It means right now there is little to no optimising. It’s a case of adding in most of the spell book and off you go to make things work. Even though it’s in a format i prefer, i am not too happy with all the CD/waiting… But it works, for now. This is why i am trying to tell people if you want to make a macro go and do it, now is the best time to make one as very little formatting required. Something wrong if you say you can’t mash skills together.[/quote]

Totally agree!, now ITS really funny to mix order - testing - abilities.

PS: GC nerf sucks a lot, atm im still able to play ( not as good as before )

Updated BfA Client - https://github.com/TimothyLuke/GnomeSequencer-Enhanced/releases/download/GSE_2.3.00-BfA-Alpha2/GSE.2.3.00.-.BfA.Alpha.2.zip

If this could have some international testing. It contains the updatedimport/export and storage changes. You may have issues importing macros created before this version but international clients especially german ones should see significant performance improvements.

I am having issues trying to use the latest build, It will not allow me to save new macros. It keeps thowing up LUA errors.

Then please raise an issue on GitHub with the detail. Please be as detailed as you can on GutHub. I can’t instinctively see your screen. I also can’t solve what issue you have without the detail eg the lua error(s) and a detailed step by step account of exactly what you did to generate the error.

If you are having issues saving and editing existing macros from alpha 1 this is completely expected. The entire format and storage mechanism has changed between builds and while macros from alpha 1 will execute they won’t be able to be edited or exported. Problems like this should be expected — this is an alpha and things are continually changing both at the WoW end and GSE’s end.

[quote quote=58956]Then please raise an issue on GitHub with the detail. Please be as detailed as you can on GutHub. I can’t instinctively see your screen. I also can’t solve what issue you have without the detail eg the lua error(s) and a detailed step by step account of exactly what you did to generate the error.
If you are having issues saving and editing existing macros from alpha 1 this is completely expected. The entire format and storage mechanism has changed between builds and while macros from alpha 1 will execute they won’t be able to be edited or exported. Problems like this should be expected — this is an alpha and things are continually changing both at the WoW end and GSE’s end.[/quote]

Then me too i wont made / raise a ticket here / GitHub for that specific issue.

:))))

Thank you!!!

Sorry I had issues logging into GitHub. But in the meantime I just rolled back to Alpha 1, and turned off all of my other addons, and was able to make new macros fine.

Try this one.

GSE BFA alpha3

Alpha1 and alpha2 macros are now carrying forward as well as finding the save bug that was hinted at.

On a side note - I’m currently running this on Live. The difference is that I’m using teh Legion Ace3 libraries on Live with the alpha BfA Ace3 libraries on BfA.

yeah getting errors from ace lib comm

That’s an Ace3 issue not a GSE one. GSE depends on Ace3 and they will have that fixed by release

Updates fopr Beta 1

https://github.com/TimothyLuke/GnomeSequencer-Enhanced/releases/download/GSE_2.3.00-BfA-beta1/GSE.2.3.00.-.BfA.Beta.1.zip

Second Round of Updates for BfA Beta - https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/gse-gnome-sequencer-enhanced-advanced-macros/files/2555816/download

A new Merge Macro option is in place when You import a macro that already exists AND you have made local changes to it.