New GSE is over complicated

I have created macros here for others for a few years in wow.
The interface was excellent and you could jump right in and go to work creating macros.

This version can do many things, but it is a frankenstein monster due to over complication.

Bring back the old interface or have someone simplify this one.

2 Likes

please and thanks for your great work, happy holidays

its actually very simplified once you take the time to learn how to properly use the new format.

1 Like

It is not as simple as the last version, learnable, yes. But for me coming back to wow after 6 month break and saw the new GSE layout it was overwhelming at first. I am still learning it as I go, looks like it has more functionality, but it is not as simple. Simple is good, and sometimes more options are good. I think it is a matter of how much time you are willing to invest, how comfortable you are with changes, and if there are clear instructions of how to use new version that can be easily found. I am all for moving forward and making changes, it is the only way things get better.

I would suggest maybe starting with Understanding GSE3 from a GSE2 Users Perspective Ā· TimothyLuke/GSE-Advanced-Macro-Compiler Wiki Ā· GitHub That website has been the home of GSEā€™s development since itā€™s inception. Every change is documented and linked to the codes changes.

GSE isnā€™t WLMā€™s mod. Itā€™s my mod which a number of people on WLM uses. WLM isnā€™t the only community nor is it the biggest community of GSE users. To influence GSEā€™s direction, itā€™s very simple raise enhancement requests or reports on GSEā€™s GitHub site. Make a compelling request that is in the interest of all the mods users and Iā€™ll act on it. This just isnā€™t a place I visit often anymore.

1 Like

Sorry to TL , but I have to agree, I am still trying to figure it out myself. I canā€™t get Shift modifiers to work to save my life, I understand where the thought process is, but visually get lost with the blocks in gse3. My issue isnā€™t the new features (which look fantastic, if I could figure out how to use them), but it is the aesthetics. I do have to applaud on the innovations made to gnome sequencer, it has come a long way from 2 page rotation strings (myself and few others were competing for the longest one a few times), I am not too keen with the gobbledygook strings now, but have adapted. I just wish it was more easy (aesthetically) so I could help getting some decent macros out, I get lost in these new blocks. Perhaps some kind of settings to change the lines or alternate ā€œoldschoolā€ ui would do the trick? It worked before between versions (hint hint). I am not the only one, as I know 3 players who feel the same and since quit using gse macro rotations, except for some very basic ones. In the meantime, I will keep trying to learn the ā€œnewā€ system as well. But aside from this, Thank you for all the contributions and what I still feel is the most useful addon in the game. - SM

One block = one line in GSE2 = one individual click

Every time you click the macro - the contents of the next block is what is sent to WoW.

The difference is you have full control over what is sent each click. If your shift mod doesnā€™t work - fix the order of your commands within the individual blocks or check your keybindings. If you have

/cast spell
/cast [mod:shift] otherspell

In your block the shift will never fire because itā€™s after the unmodder command. Same with a variable. Where they appear in the block all depends on where you put it. Also you donā€™t always have to include a variable so if it doesnā€™t make sense you donā€™t always have to have them in each block.

/cast spell
KeyPress

Is possible and valid as the name of the variable doesnā€™t matter any more. This means that whatever is in the variable KeyPress will be evaluated after the cast spell line so if your mods are in that they wonā€™t execute as they are evaluated after your cast spell line

In GSE you are not editing a macro. You are creating a template from which GSE makes a macro. The ā€œCompiled Templateā€ button shows you exactly the macro that GSE will make and how your macro will execute each click.

Stop thinking how do I spam this and think more about each click. If you do you will write 100000 times better performing macros than you did before.

Last comment: GSE is a GIGO mod - garbage in, garbage out. It will only do what itā€™s told. If you donā€™t pay attention to how things are going to be executed it canā€™t read your mind.

The final trade off is that of functionality. I have always prioritised functionality over aesthetics. Unfortunately, the old design encouraged you to put garbage in and made a bunch of one size fits all decisions. You had no way of seeing that you were doing that.

2 Likes

but in the new gse 3 comme the pause for a spell tymoti is implemented? that is I would like to use a spell and after reusing it for example after 5 seconds, I noticed that you have implemented pauses in the blocks how to do?

I think one of the perceptions that it looks overly complicated is the busy interface.

Perhaps consider one input line per block with the block type buttons (and up/down reorder buttons) on the left and checkboxes on the right indicate pre/post macro execution. That would trim the size of the interface down a bit and make it look a bit more like the original. A trim interface is a good interface.

1 Like

I actually liked the new version. Seemed to give better control options over the previous versions. Although I donā€™t play wow anymore. Game is poor and company is shockingā€¦

But if I did and put the same amount of effort as previous version for my holy Macro I would def be able to get top Rank heals on my server and connected with the control this looks like giving.

Maybe it has a bigger learning curve than previous versions and can look scary, but read the material provided and learn, you could be the saviour of so many people with a near perfect macro rotation

The whole point of the block is it is multi line. If you have a way that I can do multi line without it being multi line Iā€™m all ears.

On one particular click you can send and execute 15 lines of commands if you code it right and have the right abilities. And yes Iā€™m talking about all 15 lines executing simultaneously from the one block and the next click sending a completely different stack of commands.

By all means raise an enhancement on GSEā€™s GitHub. I mean I can complain all I want about WoW here but if I want Blizzard to do anything about it there are channels to go through. GSE works the same way. You want GSE to change ā€¦ā€¦

Cool. That being the case, you can still save on the space a bit by putting in checkboxes and action types on either side of the text box. For example, putting in a Pause block doesnā€™t need a massive text block; ut could be dynamically sized to more efficiently use space in the interface.

Donā€™t get me wrong. I think GSE is awesome. It helps my ā€œold manā€ reactions when playing. The latest interface changes were just a bit confusing for people who have only recently returned. I still donā€™t understand how my existing macros were converted to what they are and how they work. Iā€™ve got a better idea reading the wiki, but Iā€™m still getting my head around it.

Edit: Iā€™m still getting my head around the multiple lines in one action block. Are you saying you could have the old ā€œsteppedā€ macro in one block and have it operate the way it used to?

No Iā€™m the old GSE2 you still sent a multi line block to the server each click. You sent the combination of KeyPress + the individual line + KeyRelease as a big stack. You just didnā€™t know what you were actually sending. If you look at the Compiled Template - this is the actual macro that GsE creates and is what it sends each click.

The problem was sending KP and KR was not what you wanted to do most of the time. It cost you dps by doing it and encouraged running your macro faster to compensate rather than actually knowing what your macro was doing and fixing it. Now you can send KP and KR on the individual actions where it is useful to. You can send an unlimited number of non GCd actions at once but WoW will only execute the fist GVd ability it sees.

Thanks TL for the reply, and in regards to not knowing what you are firing and " Stop thinking how do I spam this and think more about each click. If you do you will write 100000 times better performing macros than you did before."

ā€œLast comment: GSE is a GIGO mod - garbage in, garbage out. It will only do what itā€™s told. If you donā€™t pay attention to how things are going to be executed it canā€™t read your mind.ā€

ā€œThe final trade off is that of functionality. I have always prioritised functionality over aesthetics. Unfortunately, the old design encouraged you to put garbage in and made a bunch of one size fits all decisions. You had no way of seeing that you were doing that.ā€

These are excellent development protocols to improve functionality, and the evolution of the add-on, I wholeheartedly agree, but I also remember setting timings on casts for the sequential castings also, such as rogue, mage and other mana dependent classes, to conserve and not run out, or build and spends like the old sub and combat rogues. others like warrior, I had a huge ā€œanything available goesā€ and that worked fine enough.

Is there still a viability on setting cast timers for sequential macros? I havenā€™t tried, but intend to this week, last time I did several months ago, it spun a rotation and locked up, I was talking to SLG regarding this, he left, and all my macros were overwritten and lost during last update.

I was simming rotations from simcraft manually, but my question is , Is there a way to dump a simulator output to create a macro order as a starting base instead of plodding along and doing it manually?

In the old sim craft you could to the very old GSE, and I was able to create some really outstanding ones with minor rotation changes

Thanks - SM
Keep up the outstanding work, and thank you

Pause Blocks. There should also be a GSE.lua.bak file that if you log in and find things missing you can refer back to. (This is a WoW thing that it does for all addons.)

Not really as there are too many unknowns between how people play. You could record your macro but then you still need to basically rewrite it to get it to perform properly.

I have to agree. The new interface is a NIGHTMARE for people who are used to the old version.

For example on GSE 2 I could EASILY create a simple macro that did for example a DOT rotation only ONCE per macro cycle on target without EVER casting the pre macro line twice unless I (manually) reset the macro. Now I simply can not do even that any more, it simply does not work.

Iā€™ll give an example:

I want my macro to

Pre Macro (aka only do this ONCE per target and macro sequence without any kind of reset):

/castsequence Moonfire, Insect Swarm, Faeri Fire

Sequence:

/castsequence Starfire, Wrath, Wrath, Wrath
/cast Wrath

When I add this to GSE 3 with how I understand the new interface, the macro does NOT work this way. It executes the Pre macro line twice (which i made a simple action block) and sometimes randomly into the other cast. And not even fully, it just adds one of the spell inside that castsequence into my actual rotation.

Maybe I am too dumb to understand how this is supposed to work, but at least GS2 was more or less dummie proof, because if you didnā€™t want a spell to be cast more than the amount you put into the macro, it would not do it, unless you reset the macro.

I have tried to understand the ā€œconversionā€ explantion on the website but that is even more confusing than the interface change.

I would REALLY appreciate an actual explanation on how to do WHAT compared to GSE2ā€™ interface - also for casters for that matter and not only the examples you had for melee classes, which is more or less useless for an actual CASTsequence. Like the simple macro I wrote above.

HOW do I have to write this in GSE3 for it to basically spam my Wrath/Starfire spell until my target is dead without adding the forced workaround of repeating this loop 20 times to make sure it doesnā€™t reset inbetween and start the pre macro step again?

I will give you three different ways. Personally I think the second if it will work for you is the most efficient and simple
ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”V1ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”-

First Action

/castsequence [reset=target] Moonfire, Insect Swarm, Faeri Fire, nomorecasts

Second Action

/castsequence Starfire, Wrath, Wrath, Wrath

Third Action

/cast Wrath

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”v2ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

First Action

/castsequence reset=target/combat Moonfire, Insect Swarm, Faeri Fire, nomorecasts
/castsequence reset=combat Starfire, Wrath, Wrath, Wrath

Second Action

/cast Wrath
ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”v3ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

First Action

/castsequence reset=target/combat Moonfire, Insect Swarm, Faeri Fire, nomorecasts
/castsequence reset=combat Starfire, Wrath, Wrath, Wrath, Wrath, Wrath

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”
The ā€˜nomorecastsā€™ at the end of the cast sequence in the first action makes that stop when it get to the end. You could also use ā€˜nullā€™ but thatā€™s not always reliable and using null could lock your macro.

Now in the combined second version once it hits nomorecasts, as it doesnā€™t exist, it stops locking the Starfire,Wrath castsequence and falls through to it. When your target resets, it goes back to moonfire etc. You could potentially reduce this even further to no need the second action. note: I am writing that this second version should work. It may need some testing.

If v2 works then you could potentially simplify down again to v3 and add extra wraths to the castsequence so that Stafford comes back at the right time. This version would work best if you were manually pressing instead of spamming however with castsequences and it not moving on until they work you could potentially still spam that.

In GSE2, the PreMacro the way you were describing using this in the past it would, from this example given, cast Mooonfire, ignore the rest of the PreMacro and never return there again. You also couldnā€™t do a 2 line or more action.

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to try this, thank you.

Shame there is no training dummies in TBCā€¦ need to find something I can hit

Also can you explain to me in dummie language what the difference between ā€œblock type actionā€, ā€œloopā€, ā€œrepeatā€, ā€œpauseā€ and that stuff is? I mean IF i spam a block type action isnt it the same as a loop, for example?

At the basic an action is a series of commands that makes up 1 GCD. The other block types are ways of arranging actions beyond a simple sequential step 1, step 2 step 3 order.

One click of your macro executes one action block.