Protection All in One

I’ve been using this macro for some time now, it works especially well in Raids, please try it out and give me your feedback or any improvements. I know its very long but everything does trigger when its off cooldown.

I use Shield barrier on a seperate button because it needs to be activated just before the Boss uses his heavy damage spells.

By pushing Shift you can also use cleave when you have rage to burn on mobs leading up to a Boss.

Hope you find this macro to be usefull.

/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()
/startattack
/cast [mod] Cleave
/castsequence reset=0.3 0,0,0,0,Battle Shout
/castsequence reset=0.3 0,0,0,Shockwave
/castsequence reset=0.3 0,0,Revenge
/castsequence reset=0.3 0,Shield Slam
/castsequence reset=5/target Devastate,Thunder Clap,Impending Victory,Devastate,Devastate,Devastate,Thunder Clap,Devastate
/cast [combat] Pummel
/cast [combat] Spell Reflection
/cast [combat] Berserker Rage
/cast [combat] Demoralizing Shout
/cast [combat] Mass Spell Reflection
/use [combat] 13
/use [combat] 14
/cast [combat] Shield Wall
/cast [combat] Skull Banner
/cast [combat] Rallying Cry
/cast [combat] Recklessness
/cast [combat] Avatar

Seems to be working pretty good to me, only used it in one raid so far but did the job nicely.

I have fine tuned it a bit, will upload it tonight, this macro seems to have a few seconds where it does no attacks, so I reshuffled a few spells to make it run more smoothly.

When does you upload the new macro?

Yeah could you upload the new version?

is there any new macro for 5.3??

Any macro I have made lapses a lot with Revenge and Shield Slam and I mean a lot.
So I took those 2 abilities out and put them on key 3 and 4 respectively and set them to a 20ms spam. The main macro is as follows.

/castsequence [mod:alt]Cleave;reset=5/target Devastate,Devastate,Shield Barrier
/castsequence reset=0.3 0,0,Thunder Clap
/castsequence reset=0.3 0,Shockwave
/castsequence reset=0.3 Commanding Shout
/cast Charge
/cast [combat] Bloodbath
/cast [combat] Skull Banner
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/startattack

Now this is assuming you have the Balanced build for Shield Barrier. If you are using the Avoidance build then the macro would change to accommodate Shield Block as your exclusive avoidance move. My talents are 1.2.3.2.2.2

So my setup is opener button 2 - macro spam @20ms - once at the mob button 3 Revenge @ 20ms spam and button 4 Shield Slam @ 20ms spam. This might seem convoluted but once button 3 and 4 are running you can leave them run and only turn on/off the main macro.

For those with really decent latency someone else might want to use what I made and add those other 2 abilities but for my latency this works superbly.

And on the note I have a dilemma with shield block versus barrier. Besides the obvious answer of using shield block against a mainly melee mob and shield barrier against a mainly spell caster, is there some type of optimal rotation of squeezing in block/barrier.
Barrier will only absorb the portion of an attack that isn’t mitigated, so yes, chaining a Barrier on top of a Block can help with high-damage phases, but it isn’t sustainable.

The vast majority of your AP comes from Vengeance, not from str. The reason str is valued at all is it actually converts very well to parry (at a slightly less than 1:1 rate, with a different diminishing return from parry).

However, that is just the STAT. You will never gem for str, because you get twice the parry from well, gemming parry.

Aside from that, if you want to spam barrier, you will need high hit/exp. Our only rage generators are shield slam and revenge, and the reason parry/dodge goes well with that is revenge refreshes from parry/dodge.

Now, as for barrier/block. After a certain point of being pummeled (high ap from vengeance), barrier becomes better than block in almost any circumstance.

Furthermore, barrier scales linearly with rage spent (correct me if i’m wrong, but I assumed this was the case), thus, spamming it whenever you have rage >20 actually results in fairly smooth damage taken and fewer spikes.

Obviously this is not always optimal, as you will want to pool rage for either known high damage periods or for bursty periods to use with HS. This is another reason high hit/exp is preferred, as we are almost certain then that we can gain rage at a known rate, thus we can better anticipate our rage situation when something happens.
Another time when block is more useful is add tanking. All those blocks make for smooth, consistently low damage that can be healed efficiently.

I could add a lot more on this subject but to the macro part would it be more effective to make 2 macros - one for block and one for barrier or try to make a macro to incorporate block and barrier together? I tend to think 2 macros because for one against casters you will be wanting to use barrier and two for melee you will want to be using block and 3 at certain stages of vengeance stacks/procs and CD resets, number of mobs you will want to use one then the other exclusively.

Any input would be appreciated.

[quote quote=9919]Any macro I have made lapses a lot with Revenge and Shield Slam and I mean a lot.<br>
[/quote]

I’ve noticed the same thing when I check my logs. Shield Slam is our most powerful spell in single target fights and Revenge also has its merits, so maximizing their use is high priority. There must be SOME way to make sure they’re not skipped when they come off CD, other than spamming 2 other keys. I also use the same macro structure on my shadow priest and his dps is terrible because it skips over mind blast and devouring plague to cast mind flay :(. I think I might need to re-read the stickies to learn how to tweak spell priority… where to begin…

I get best results like this:

/startattack
/castsequence reset=0.3 0, 0, 0, 0, Dragon Roar
/castsequence reset=0.3 0, 0, 0, Shield Slam
/castsequence reset=0.3 0, 0, Revenge
/castsequence reset=0.3 0, Devastate
/castsequence reset=0.3 Thunder Clap
/cast [combat] Beserker Rage

Thats your basic rotation to build up rage on one button that you spam
Then have your Shield Barrier on a seperate button which u use when necessary.
Also use Recklessness Avatar/Bloodbath on cooldown for extra dps.
U can add whichever spells on the end of the main macro as needed but I recommend u put them on seperate buttons cause it does slow your main rotation.

Please check spelling of the macro before use, im doing this out of my head, let me know if it works.

Remember if a spell doesnt fire off place it higher up in the macro order, even first. Make shorter mactos, they tend to work better.

Thanks Willem works perfectly. I got tired of going feral kritty kitty decided to mix it up. I have a very low level warrior was using arms and topping the DPS charts. The tanks though all sucked hard core. So @ level 36 I decided to dual spec into Prot and using that macro of yours not a problem one. welll at first there was a small problem and I went into the dungeon then started getting facerolled and nothing was firing. Turned out I had the wrong macro and was using the Arms macro lol. Changed it over to yours in a second and back to kicking BUTT. So yeah your macro even works for low level wanna be tanks.

There a Oh Shit button macro?

[quote quote=10062]I get best results like this:

/startattack

Thats your basic rotation to build up rage on one button that you spam<br>
Then have your Shield Barrier on a seperate button which u use when necessary.<br>
Also use Recklessness Avatar/Bloodbath on cooldown for extra dps.<br>
U can add whichever spells on the end of the main macro as needed but I recommend u put them on seperate buttons cause it does slow your main rotation.

Please check spelling of the macro before use, im doing this out of my head, let me know if it works.
[/quote]
ive been trying to use this macro and it some what works( or maybe its working 100% i dont know not a macro guy) but when i use it i can go 30-40seconds with out shield slam,thunder clap, or revenge going off and it will just spam devastate but then at other times it works perfect is this because of lag or maybe im hitting the macro too much?

btw im only lvl 30 and if its because i dont have all the moves then how should i change it so it works?

Still viable in 5.4?

[quote quote=10062]I get best results like this:

/startattack

Thats your basic rotation to build up rage on one button that you spam<br>
Then have your Shield Barrier on a seperate button which u use when necessary.<br>
Also use Recklessness Avatar/Bloodbath on cooldown for extra dps.<br>

[/quote]

I been using this macro for the past ten levels, it works very nicely. I like having all my defensive cooldowns more under my control, so this light version works very nice.

I would like it if revenge would work all the time, but there must be a talent or something that randomly resets it =) so sometimes I push that separately. Otherwise, great job =) Thanks.

Here’s my PROT Warrior’s ALL-IN-ONE MACRO (her name is Éleanor). It works for SINGLE TARGET and AOE encounters. My talents are slightly different than recommended PVE talents, only because I do a lot of PVP (thus why u don’t see DRAGON ROAR in there).

/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
/castsequence reset=0.2 0,0,0,0,0,0,Disarm
/castsequence reset=0.2 0,0,0,0,0,Thunder Clap
/castsequence reset=0.2 0,0,0,0,Victory Rush
/castsequence reset=0.2 0,0,0,Execute
/castsequence reset=0.2 0,0,Commanding Shout
/castsequence reset=0.2 0,Revenge, Hamstring
/castsequence reset=target/2 Shield Slam, Devastate
/cast [combat] Shield Wall
/cast [harm] [@focus] Vigilance
/cast [combat] Bloodbath
/cast [combat] Disrupting Shout
/cast [harm] [@focus] Intervene
/cast [combat] Spell Reflection
/cast [combat] Shield Block
/cast [combat] Shield Barrier
/cast [stance:1/3] Defensive Stance
/cast Charge
/use 13
/use 14
/startattack
/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide();
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1

Ive been useing your macro for a while Set, but it doesnt really seem to fire off ThunderClap and im haveing a litle trouble holding agro of bigger mobs 5+ or more.

And Devistate doesnt fire also

I have been playing around with Sethadon’s macro for a few days, and it seems to have some issues - as mentioned. Primarily, seems to be, it doesn’t have the best AoE aggro acquisition and retention. Also, I seem often to be rage starved.

The later point, I think is because we are using things like Shield Barrier pretty much on cooldown, which eats most of our rage. This, it appears, can be compensated by tanking lots or heavy damage, like in an instance.

The former, could perhaps be remedied by moving thunder clap up higher on the priority chain.

As far as the missed devastates, I haven’t observed that - because I haven’t really checked =) will keep my eyes open for it.