BM Raiding - ST and AOE [High Performance]

^^^^^^This one million times over!! I wish I could give @No54A2 a hundred likes for this comment.

NO WHERE in the Icy Veins or …yuck…WoWHead is mentioned to use Arcane Shot. It’s useless.

1 Like

The issue is not Arcane vs Cobra but more so the haste problem to get a second Kill Command out in the macro. The discussion about Arcane vs Cobra has nothing to do with the thread.

Its an idea only, just to see if it lowers the focus cost to get a second Kill Command out.

of course it lowers the focus…thus less Kill Commands…35 vs 40 focus is a HUGE barrier to that.

and you did make it about cobra vs arcane…so there ya have it…more focus for no return…

My thing was a discussion point more so about Blizzard’s crappy balancing, and class understandings.

thats fine but just to be clear…Cobra shot @ 198 ilvl is doing 1,734 damage with a focus cost of 35 where Arcane shot is only doing 894 at 40 focus…so the argument for Arcane shot is now dead in the water.

If you use Arcane shot and loose focus, thus not allowing a Kill Command, you loose out on at least from one missed Kill Command …1,845 damage…not woth the trade off…and btw, Cobra and Arcane fire off at the same speed.

I play a BM hunter, took Venthyr as my Cov and use Fangs as my leggo…thats supposedly 3 strikes against me…guess what though…I’m #2 hunter Horde side for my realm on normal Castle Nath…my guild is currently 10/10 normal and 3/10 heroic…it comes down to knowing your class, not just raw numbers.

2 Likes

I looked further into this. Cobra Shot damage was increased by 5% during the weekly buffs. Arcane Shot was also buffed 5% for BM and MM but for MM the proc Arcane Shot was nerfed.

I’m glad, the macro and things are working for you. The question is how can we get a second Kill Command out right after the CD ends. That is the issue, numbers are great but its the rotation and the priority that makes the difference.

Like you I know to play the classes before I even touch a macro. Otherwise developing macros is a moot point.

ok…one…more…time…

If you don’t have the focus to cast KC it will move on to the next spell in the rotation…and again in the second pass…every so often stop, un target the boss, start the macro again…works like a charm for me…you just need to figure the best times to do this and that changes every single time you go up against a creature…practice, practice, practice…I have spent HOURS on a dummy and simming my toon…it’s that simple…haste is a huge contributing factor in the way macros work for us.

and actually it is…if you forgo Cobra shot for Arcane, you’ll miss more KCs every time…you’ll be focus starved and have bigger issues.

Good morning and happy holidays.
I’m a newbie and I’m learning by trying to learn from these posts.
Thanks for the wonderful macro you wanted to share. And I’m asking, if I don’t disturb, the commands for a short macro that I can’t get to work. That is Tar Trap + Flare. is a macro possible? Thank you all.

It is in there. I included it on the Alt command in the KeyPress area.

Actually, if you set the aoe macro into the regular one using copy/paste and just make sure to add the mod ctrl option to the aoe macro it works as an all in 1 macro without losing any dps. I even edited it so shift is the aoe and ctrl is the wild spirits. I might also add misdirect to the key release section of the macro since that is empty but that is undecided. I am going to edit the macro to change the mend pet to my aio pet macro
/cast [nopet,nodead] Call Pet 1; [@pet, dead] Revive Pet; [@pet, nodead, nochanneling] Mend Pet
However, since GSE does not like the call pet mod which makes it only cast when the pet is alive but not there (it causes the macro to try to call the pet when it is dead instead of reviving the pet as it should) I have found a few workarounds for it. 1st off the easiest solution is to change the order of the macro putting the revive/mend pet part at the start instead of in the middle (mend and revive pet are the same skill now)
/cast [@pet, dead] Mend Pet; [nopet, nodead] Call Pet 1; [@pet, nodead, nochanneling] Mend Pet

The other option is to make a non gse macro for that, set it on 1 of the action bar buttons you do not have a keyboard button bound for (the ones I have to click with the mouse), find the name of that specific slot I put that in using blizzards framestack tooltip and use a click command to cast that macro
/click ??? (replace ??? with the name of the button you got from the framestack tooltip and for a list of all the vanilla names for the buttons see the vid below)
That will make it automatically use that macro whenever it hits that part of the macro and this will allow it to call, resurrect, and heal your pet when needed. However, after I put it in the section for keypress it gets stuck and never goes past doing that function (I suspect this is because it starts using that and wow gcd will not let it use something else since its already using something which is a normal part of the game and nothing the addon can change) The solution I found for this is to put it in the key release section of the macro instead of the keypress section which seems to fix that problem as well.

A list of all the button names on vanilla that may not work if you have addons is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ELf-c7-69M

This requires a UI change to Dominos, many people use Bartender or even ElvUI which does not have that ability.

To get around the Mend Pet issue, you can uncheck the “Safe Spells” option in the 1 tab, that will make it see Mend Pet instead of Revive Pet. I do not why @TimothyLuke this happens, can you please look into this further.

No that is 100% false and you can do that with any addon or with vanilla but the names for the buttons change between addons/vanilla games. Which is why I said to use the frame stack tooltip yourself to find the name since that would tell you the correct name to use for each button regardless what addon you use. There is a video of someone who shows the names for all the buttons on a vanilla game here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ELf-c7-69M and those may work even if you have an addon since they are default but I can not say for sure and so I recommend you use the frame stack tooltip to find it instead. Since clearly people are going to try using the one I posted above despite the fact that I told them to find it for themselves I am going to edit to remove it and force them to find it themselves to prevent me having to come back to explain why it did not work for them.

I would need to look more into this for Shadowlands. Classic/Vanilla has certain addons that are enabled that do not function in current Blizzard code. A good example is Benecast.

There is nothing to look into these two spells were merged two expansions ago. /cast Revive Pet will switch to Mend Pet if you have a pet or will try to revive if it’s dead.

1 Like

Great Macro averaging in the mid 80% parses and even got a 98% parse with it.

I use Fangs instead of Embers though as I hate Embers with a passion. Might look at crafting the single target BM legendary (forget the name) after I make rank 4 of Fangs.

Last time I tried to add that macro I posted above (posted it below as well) to a gse macro it did not work and I was told that it was probably because gse kept changing the name. However, after trying it now it still does not work but I figured out the cause has nothing to do with mend or revive pet. After putting that macro as it is shown above into gse causes it to constantly try to call my pet when it is dead (something that does not happen when I put it in as a regular macro in wow because of the modifier that tells it to only cast if pet is nodead). That being said I have found a way to get it working in gse by changing the order I have things in (see below).

So, this macro does not work in gse but will work in vanilla wow
/cast [nopet, nodead] Call Pet 1; [@pet, dead] Revive Pet; [@pet, nodead, nochanneling] Mend Pet

While this one works in gse and might also work in vanilla wow (untested in vanilla but works with gse)
/cast [@pet, dead] Mend Pet; [nopet, nodead] Call Pet 1; [@pet, nodead, nochanneling] Mend Pet

EDIT/UPDATE: Apparently people were getting confused on what the problem is and so modified the post to make it easier to understand and will be changing my previous post to help remove/prevent confusion as well)

You don’t get it. The simple fact you have a pet out means that Revive Pet no longer exists in WoW’s spell DB for your character while your pet is alive. If your pet is out and you hit save all Revive Pets will be automatically be replace (not by GSE but by WoW) with Mend Pet. If you dismiss your pet it then goes back to Revive Pet.

Now once combat starts GSE can no longer change your macro so if it’s Mend Pet - guess what - it won’t res your pet. If however it is Revive Pet (because of the way base spells work) then it will both res your pet or heal it.

To trick WoW - dismiss your pet first then when you edit do the following (including the $$ at the front)

$$/cast [nopet, nodead] Call Pet 1; [@pet, dead] Revive Pet; [@pet, nodead, nochanneling] Mend Pet

Oh and read up on how Base Spells work: Two most asked questions: Base Spells and Macro locks

I get it fine I think it may be you who does not understand. The fact that it works in regular wow macros but not in GSE macros means it is not a problem with regular wow. The problem is it was trying to summon a pet while the pet is dead and would not heal/res the pet. It kept trying to summon despite the fact that there was a nodead mod in the summon part and the pet was clearly dead. I do not need to trick wow since as I said it works fine when I put it in a non GSE macro regardless of what order I put them in (gse only worked if you set them in a specific order). Revive pet was not the problem as I said someone had said to me before that it was but they were either wrong or perhaps it was a problem then but not now. Regardless, the problem is it is trying to call my pet when my pet is dead despite having the [nopet, nodead] modifier in there and the only way to make it work in gse is to change the order to put the actions in a different order. That being said, after trying the working version in the 1 button macro I use (removing the mend, res, and call pet functions that were already there then pasting the gse working version of my macro in there) it seems to make the macro stop working for me (seems to stop using the attacks). I suspect that is because the aio macro I have had the heal and call pet functions in the keypress section of the macro which caused some problem for whatever reason (this happened regardless if I put the full macro in or just had a click macro try to use it I got the same result). I suspect this is because of the gcd and is not a problem with gse (I could be wrong) but I figured I should tell people just in case they try it only to get confused. A simple fix would be to put the macro in the key release section instead of the key press section.

Actually, the best fix is for @TimothyLuke to revert the change that was made. As in BFA it worked, but it doesn’t work in SL.