Hi there! I’m EnixLHQ.
I used to code here from 2016 to 2020. If any of you were around then, you might know me. If so, hello!
Anyway, back then, in the beginning, I came to this site looking for an easy way to get really lazy while playing the game. I was burned out; I used to tank “professionally,” was in a bad place emotionally, and just was looking for a way to make this game easier. It had gotten toxic for me between the demands on me to perform in my “professional” capacity and the ridicule I’d get if I played casually and slipped in a role. I was about to quit. I left the guild, quit accepting tanking jobs, and logged on to sadly hit the training dummy for a while, not even queuing for dungeons.
So when I came here, I thought my problem was solved. I grabbed a macro and the add-on, plugged it in, and marveled at how it did most of what I wanted on a dummy. But it wasn’t perfect, and it still didn’t do well enough to keep the hatespeak in chat away, so I still felt stuck. But I also felt inspired. This was something I could do, actively do, to enhance my game. I was no LUA coder, but I was a scripter, and so I decided to throw my hat into the ring.
One day, I log in and I have this direct message. It was from someone who did a tour in Afghanistan. He had suffered an injury, disabling most of his right hand and leaving him with only two fingers and a thumb on his left hand. And he was gushing over one of my macros. He said that he had been battling depression, was desperately trying to play a game that he had with his friends for years, trying every accessibility option and add-on he could find, but all that ever did for him was make him present, but not functional. His friends, he said, were nice enough to hang around, but when they wanted to run content, they’d leave him behind. He just couldn’t contribute. Until he found one of my macros, and it changed everything for him. He had spent the night before not only running dungeons but also raiding with his friends. They were so amazed at his progress, and they cheered him on so much that when it was all over, he had to come to this site and send me a message.
I’ll never forget it. He said he had tears in his eyes as he wrote to me. He insisted on donating to me. I refused, of course, but he didn’t relent, and so I caved in and let him. He didn’t have much, just $5, but to me, that might as well have been $5k. Suddenly, everything that I was going through didn’t matter, and all I wanted to do was make this guy’s life better. I asked him what his favorite role was, and he said it was Discipline Priest, but he had no way, even with macros, of playing since his injuries. Bet. I got this. I got you.
So I made him a disc macro. I took his feedback, his desired playstyle, and I did the best I could. It eventually became Fated Discipline.
And that was that. Between the classes he played and the ones I played, I made a bunch of macros around here, but that one will always be the one that hits me in the heart.